You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, so I have a PNG file. It is fairly basic, and has a large part of its background and some other text etc. as a single solid colour (A) that I would like to change to a different colour (B). So basically, how do I change everything that is Colour A to Colour B, preferably the easiest and quickest option if there is one!

Thanks so much in advance!

What program are you using ?

To be honest, without seeing it, it will be hard to tell. Maybe select sampled colour, or select and use HSV, or the colour replacement brush. As I said, without seeing, hard to advise.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Assuming you are using Affinity Photo, the Select menu > Select Sampled Color is probably the best way to do this. The help topic "Sampled color pixel selections" explains how this works, but keep in mind that even for very simple png files what appears to be a single color most likely is really a range of similar colors, so you will probably have to do a little experimentation with the tolerance & sample point to select everything you want to change & nothing that you do not. This usually is easiest to do when zoomed in so you can see the individual pixels that are being selected.

Once you have the selection you want, use the Paint Brush Tool set to your color B to paint over the selected pixels.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 hours ago, R C-R said:

Assuming you are using Affinity Photo, the Select menu > Select Sampled Color is probably the best way to do this. The help topic "Sampled color pixel selections" explains how this works, but keep in mind that even for very simple png files what appears to be a single color most likely is really a range of similar colors, so you will probably have to do a little experimentation with the tolerance & sample point to select everything you want to change & nothing that you do not. This usually is easiest to do when zoomed in so you can see the individual pixels that are being selected.

Once you have the selection you want, use the Paint Brush Tool set to your color B to paint over the selected pixels.

11 hours ago, toltec said:

What program are you using ?

To be honest, without seeing it, it will be hard to tell. Maybe select sampled colour, or select and use HSV, or the colour replacement brush. As I said, without seeing, hard to advise.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply! I probably should've said, I'm using Affinity Designer and I have attached the image. Trying to change everything green to a blue. Will these methods work with designer do you think?

test.jpg

22 minutes ago, nabsi said:

Will these methods work with designer do you think?

Like @kaffeeundsalz said, for this particular image the Recolor adjustment in Affinity Designer's Pixel Persona will do the job nicely. You will probably want to make a selection first to exclude the Nolan logo & the text next to it, easily done by using the Rectangular Marquee Selection Tool to select a white area that includes it & then using the Select menu > Invert Pixel selection to invert the selection. Otherwise, you may find that parts of this area take on the blue color because they are anti-aliased in greys that contain some green.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Like @kaffeeundsalz said, for this particular image the Recolor adjustment in Affinity Designer's Pixel Persona will do the job nicely. You will probably want to make a selection first to exclude the Nolan logo & the text next to it, easily done by using the Rectangular Marquee Selection Tool to select a white area that includes it & then using the Select menu > Invert Pixel selection to invert the selection. Otherwise, you may find that parts of this area take on the blue color because they are anti-aliased in greys that contain some green.

Ah that's perfect! Looks like it's doing exactly what I wanted. Just one other thing, when I apply the recolour is there any way to have it so I can put in a specific RGB colour. At the moment it just comes up with 2 sliders. Thanks so much!!

g.png

If you want an RGB colour, it would be much easier to use the paint bucket tool

.tool.png.c2ef8201c26ae6667d7010dd44434fd4.png

Set any RGB colour you want,

bucket.png.66d36fc319bec803e7b561764bb827f1.png

then just click with the paint bucket tool anywhere on the green to change. If you deselect the Contiguous option, it will change all the green, not just the touching bits, so you will get the bits inside the letters too.

I changed the bottom image with just one click of the Paint bucket. RGB colours as shown but choose your favourite blue, 40% tolerance, Contiguous off.

tol.png.027d61cdaff6084e4cfa3ed1bd44902a.png

If there are bits you don't want, roughly select the areas you want first. As I did at the top left. (or rather selected everything but that). It doesn't have to be a precise selection, just the area.

As R C-R says, the Nolan logo tends to pick up colour you don't want, so deselect that.

nolan.jpg.b405a46246f4ce09da196120b9334cc0.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.