It's hard to say if this an issue with Affinity Photo or my system but editing is very slow on my machine. Any of the live filters in particular cause a delay in rendering the output as I scrub an option back and forth.

I don't exactly have a slow machine. With an  i7 2600K, 16GB 1600mhz RAM, Crossfired HD7970s and a Samsung SSD Pro 850. Other software including Photoshop works fast.

I tried the Beta and that improves things only slightly. I did a test and found that if I disable the video card(s) under the Performance tab of Preferences by changing it to the WARP renderer the system is much faster.

I also tried with Crossfire disabled using only one video card and didn't do anything.

UPDATE: I did another test. With WARP enabled interestinly Windows shows the graphic cards in use. With the Renderer being left to Radeon there's no graphics usage at all!? The image with the Task Manager on the right of screen is the WARP renderer running and the other the Radeon cards.

warp.jpg

radeon.jpg

Our engine is software based (unless you're on iPad and some other supported Macs) and so changing the renderer will have little difference to that performance (the renderer presents the final images to the screen).

The reason why those readings may seem backward is that WARP is software, so it is slow and will show up in the GPU usage. The Radeon is fast, so you won't see any usage, as presenting to the screen is very easy for the hardware.

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Our engine is software based (unless you're on iPad and some other supported Macs) and so changing the renderer will have little difference to that performance (the renderer presents the final images to the screen).

The reason why those readings may seem backward is that WARP is software, so it is slow and will show up in the GPU usage. The Radeon is fast, so you won't see any usage, as presenting to the screen is very easy for the hardware.

Thanks for the response Mark. That makes sense. So what single factor, or factors,  would increase preformance because I'm finding processing slow on my machine? 

Thank you! 

CPU, RAM and SSD, in priority order.

Disabling your renderer and using WARP really shouldn't improve things, it should make things worse, because now the CPU not only has to perform the edits to your document, but it's also got to compose the images to present to the screen (which is normally done in hardware by your GPU). Can you provide a document that you're working on, and a description of what you were doing at the time to see if we can reproduce it?

I'm confused, so the programs use or not the gpu for anything else than displaying the picture on my monitor?

I though (from another thread) that they don't use the GPU at all so I changed the GPU in my system with an older variant (because I wanted that gpu for gaming in home).

The warp show as well for me high GPU usage (100%) if it is enabled, but with the radeon 4850 selected I don't get any usage at all. Is this normal? This extra burden from the warp shouldn't be in the cpu side or it use the gpgpu ability of the card to emulate what is normally done in gpu hardware?

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD FX 8350 Wraith - MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 - RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133Mhz - GPU: ASUS AMD Radeon R7 250 1GB
SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB - HDD: 2x WD Black 640GB - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

4 hours ago, nitro912gr said:

I'm confused, so the programs use or not the gpu for anything else than displaying the picture on my monitor?

I though (from another thread) that they don't use the GPU at all so I changed the GPU in my system with an older variant (because I wanted that gpu for gaming in home).

The warp show as well for me high GPU usage (100%) if it is enabled, but with the radeon 4850 selected I don't get any usage at all. Is this normal? This extra burden from the warp shouldn't be in the cpu side or it use the gpgpu ability of the card to emulate what is normally done in gpu hardware?

I mentioned it in the other thread you replied to, but we only use GPU for rendering the final document to the screen. So a basic GPU will surfice. You don't want to use WARP unless absolutely necessary, as it will use a software renderer, meaning you'll lose CPU performance.

ok thank you, I work a very heavy file now and I was testing other ways to get as much as possible from my hardware and changed to warp and seeing so much more usage I though that I was wasting resources before, but now that I turned back in radeon everything is faster and the gpu idle.

in the end maybe the time of upgrade is coming anyway, at least affinity use all of my cores unlike illustrator who choke on one core.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD FX 8350 Wraith - MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 - RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133Mhz - GPU: ASUS AMD Radeon R7 250 1GB
SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB - HDD: 2x WD Black 640GB - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10