You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

38 minutes ago, ostonica said:

Many thanks, Mark.

Adding that support in the latest builds, suggests that development thinks that the Dial adds useful functionalisty to the Surface Pro 4. Do you know if there is a video tutorial planned. It might help to decide if the Dial is worth getting.

JIm

I'm going to add further support for Dial in the future, but right now it supports some brush properties (Width, Hardness, Opacity, etc), canvas rotation, radial blur, and history.

A further question.  From what you have learned making the Ipad version, and now implementing the dial on the Surface Pro tablets, do you think it will ever be possible to achieve the same functionality on the Surface Pro tablets that you have, impressively, achieved on the Ipad? I'm thinking of all the keyboard modifiers that we currently need on the Surface Pro. The dial is eliminating some of them but many remain.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2017 at 7:16 AM, Mark Ingram said:

I'm going to add further support for Dial in the future, but right now it supports some brush properties (Width, Hardness, Opacity, etc), canvas rotation, radial blur, and history.

I just got the dial to test if on my Surface Pro 4, given the longer return polocy for Christmas shopping ( until Jan 7 now !)

But I cannot find how to set it up to control the brush width with the dial. I have checked the setting above . But the opnly options on the radial menu are volume , scroll, zoom. undo.

Are there any other configuration steps to make? 

Also is "in the future" more like to be months away rather than weeks away? Just curious.

Jim

6 hours ago, ostonica said:

I just got the dial to test if on my Surface Pro 4, given the longer return polocy for Christmas shopping ( until Jan 7 now !)

But I cannot find how to set it up to control the brush width with the dial. I have checked the setting above . But the opnly options on the radial menu are volume , scroll, zoom. undo.

Hi Jim, you need to enable support via Preferences. Once you've done that, when you go into the brush tool you should be able to use the dial. Clicking the dial will rotate through available options.

That is still not working for me, Mark. I'm running 1.6.1.93, on Surface Pro 4.

On starting the program with an image loaded, The options are now Volume, View Rotarion and Histroy. 

But when I select the brush, the options revert to the Windows 10 options, Volume, Scroll Zoom, Undo

I thought this support was just a 1.6.1 feature, but I just tried it on 1.6.0.89 and there the dial is working as exepcted.

Also, I see there is an option to add your own programming to the dial for APh Will that interfere with your programming. 

JIm

That's what I see, Mark. I just tried it again, to make sure. Same results as I posted earlier. 

Jim

Further to this, Sat pm. 

I paired the surface dial to my desktop computer running build 17025 (same as the surface pro 4)

On the desktop the dial works as expected with 1.6.1.93.

It's a bit like the brush size indicator circle, it shows with no problem on the desktop computer, but not on the Surface Pro 4

Hope the feedback helps.

Jim.

A very odd situation. I updated the production version of APh on my Desktop computer to V 1.6.1.93 this morning and the Surface dial no longer works with that version on the Desktop.

I get the default Windows options, not your APh options.

But when I run the Beta version of 1.6.1.93 on the Desktop, the surface dial works as expected!!!

11 hours ago, ostonica said:

A very odd situation. I updated the production version of APh on my Desktop computer to V 1.6.1.93 this morning and the Surface dial no longer works with that version on the Desktop.

I get the default Windows options, not your APh options.

But when I run the Beta version of 1.6.1.93 on the Desktop, the surface dial works as expected!!!

That's really strange, because they are the same version!

1 hour ago, ostonica said:

Yes, very puzzling. I just tested it again with the same results. The update production version just shows options for Volume, Scroll, Zoom and Undo!! 

Is there any debugging information I could colelct that might help? 

Do you have a document open, and the brush tool selected? What about if you try to use the radial blur filter?

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

Do you have a document open, and the brush tool selected? What about if you try to use the radial blur filter?

Yes a document is open,

Yes, the brush tool selected

The radial blur works, but the surface dial still shows  Volume Scroll Zoom, Undo. The only option that has any effect is the undo. 

If you cannot replicate this behaviour it must be something on my computer. 

Is anyone else using the Surface Dial with a desktop computer? 

I tried an uninstall and then reinstalled the Production version affinity-photo-1.6.1.93, but the behaviour was the same.!!!

Yes, Mark, it's working as expected on the desktop with that version. 

I just tested the surface dial with Sketchable on my Surface Pro 4. I've never used that program so don't know all the uses with the dial.

But as far as I could tell, the menu items specific to the application showed with no problems and the ones I tried all seem to do something. 

The basic 4 functions of the dial,  zoom volume scroll and undo all work as expected on the SP4. 

Anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Jim

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.