You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paste Into?

Would like to have a Paste Into option for placing images inside shapes or raster shapes. It would speed up a document where one lays out the vector shapes then all you do then is drop in (paste into) the images. Sounds easy right? Great! Next version? Great. You guys are awesome. (this is how I wish things happened! lol)

Isn't that what Edit > Paste Inside does after you select your shape?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

That is backwards workflow (or, as some claim, DOS method = command first, target second). "Paste" indicates that there is something already in the clipboard waiting to be pasted. In practice it is quite easy and quick to copy a file from Finder and paste it inside a shape. (Well, I have not yet figured out why it does paste offcenter in AD, requiring repositioning.. AP seems to work right.)

49 minutes ago, Fixx said:

That is backwards workflow (or, as some claim, DOS method = command first, target second). "Paste" indicates that there is something already in the clipboard waiting to be pasted. In practice it is quite easy and quick to copy a file from Finder and paste it inside a shape. (Well, I have not yet figured out why it does paste offcenter in AD, requiring repositioning.. AP seems to work right.)

Thanks but you could've left out the opinion part of your comment. We're all here to help each other.

13 hours ago, evtonic3 said:

This doesn't do what I need it to do. If one could select a shape then choose your idea  Paste Inside and then prompt for me to choose a document or something to paste in to the selected shape then that would be what I need but it doesn't do that.

I must admit that I've never seen Paste Into work that way before

But I guess you can try...

Select your shape
Use File > Place to cover your shape with an image
Use the shape as a clipping/masking layer for the image

Doing it this way produces the same results but you get a Replace Image button, which may make it easier for you to replace the image later if you want to.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.