You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Merging/Blending 2 Side by Side Pics

Hi,

I finally learned how to make 5 piece panels like these. Thank you all of you for your guidance, it now takes me less than a minute to create such 5 panels.

OK, so now, I would like to learn how to merge/blend two images seamlessly as shown in picture. Notice how the edges of both flags kinda merge/blend into one another seamlessly in the central panel. How can I do it?

Would love to do it in Designer (but also have Photos in case).

Thank you.

Italiana_grande.jpg  600×600 .png

It is possible in designer but I will use Photo for this demo

Open the two images (preferably the same size)
Place one on top the other
Layer > New Fill Layer  (colour not important)
Add full length Horizontal gradient to the Fill Layer
Drag Fill Layer to use as a mask on the top image
(Gradient tool should still be selected, but if not reselect it to see the gradient on the mask layer)
Select left-hand node of gradient and set Opacity to zero
Drag (separately) both left-hand and right-hand nodes of gradient towards centre of image, keep adjusting, until you get the blend effect you want. (You can also move the nodes up & down to affect the results)

You can readjust the gradient at anytime just by selecting the mask layer and selecting the gradient tool

Note: The blending results of 2 images depends a lot on how similar (or dissimilar) the images are.  But you can always play with the Brightness/Contrast, HSL, Noise levels etc on each image to try to get them to blend better ( or find different images :) )

.afphoto file attached

blended.jpg

blendtwopics.afphoto

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@carl123

Thank you so much Carl, finally was able to do it.

One thing though, there is a brick wall/texture and it looks like a layer, how do I achieve this effect? ...by making the group of final blended image a bit transparent (by changing its opacity) (though during this process, blended image didn't remain crisp and bright anymore, more like whitish). 

Sorry do not understand

Can you supply an example file of what you mean?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

32 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Sorry do not understand

Can you supply an example file of what you mean?

Hey Carl,

If you see the example in first post above, you will see that images are placed over white bricks. I want to achieve the same effect. How do I do that? Also would really love how to do all this merging in Designer as well.

In Designer…

You can blend the two flags using the transparency tool - drag a fade where the two images overlap.

As for the texture of the bricks, I would stack this above the flags, and use an appropriate blend mode, such as Overlay.

Attached is a quick example file to demonstrate the concept. Pull it apart to see how everything works.

59f5bf2605935_FivePanelFlags.jpg.345b3b4eff2b5ed399d82dfa1f442a06.jpg

Five Panel Flags.afdesign

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Like Aammppaa said

Add your bricks pattern above your finished design

Change blend mode to Overlay

Adjust the Opacity of the bricks layer to your liking

If the flag layer need adjusting you can use adjustments, on this layer, such as brightness/contrast to get it how you like it

bricks.afphoto

• 2 weeks later...