You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6 - RC1)

• Staff

Affinity Designer 1.6.0 is now released on the Mac App Store. Thank you for your help with this Beta

Purpose: New features, fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Here

Although we have now moved to Release Candidate status, it should be assumed that until we have submitted to the App Store that this version should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Fixes/Improvements:

• New samples (and sample layout)
  • OpenGL and Metal tweaks
  • Reintroduction of original OpenGL (described as OpenGL (Basic) in Preferences->Performance) for those with display issues
  • Updated presets (including iPhone X)
  • Fix for not being able to Cmd+Click inside Compound objects
  • Miscellaneous other fixes and tweaks

Ah the first release candidate version. Things are starting to get exciting. And well done on fixing the issue with the color picker and pasting styles.

One thing that I did notice is that changing the pressure in the Pressure window does not affect brush strokes; only line strokes.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff
11 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

Ah the first release candidate version. Things are starting to get exciting. And well done on fixing the issue with the color picker and pasting styles.

One thing that I did notice is that changing the pressure in the Pressure window does not affect brush strokes; only line strokes.

You're quite right - something's definitely gone wrong here - that's today's job sorted out then! ;) 

Edit: Actually, the issue that I was seeing was due to my force touch trackpad not working as expected until a restart! Now I think things are working fine... Brian, there's a rather strange bit of logic in the Vector Brush Tool that actually means that the UI you interact with is about the next stroke you draw - you're not falling foul of this are you? Basically, if you draw something, then change the width, the width of the last thing you have drawn will not change, but the width of the next thing you draw will change. This is designed to mimic the desired behaviour with colours - where you typically want to choose the next colour when doing brushwork for building your tones. If you want to change the current brush, you can hold down Command and then make your change.

Having said all of that, you can actually see that 'Pressure' is ignored for the next stroke you draw, which is definitely a bug...

Matt, I am still seeing some redrawing artifacts when resizing an artboard under the new OpenGL version, regardless of chosen view quality. Don’t mistake me, that’s purely cosmetic. These artifacts will immediately go away when you lift the mouse button, so there is no functional impairment otherwise. Under OpenGL (Basic), however, there are no such artifacts. Just wanted to let you know … :)

Lag.mov

• Staff
1 minute ago, A_B_C said:

Matt, I am still seeing some redrawing artifacts when you are resizing an artboard under the new OpenGL version, regardless of chosen view quality. Don’t mistake me, that’s purely cosmetic. These artifacts will immediately go away when you lift the mouse button, so there is no functional impairment otherwise. Under OpenGL (Basic), however, there are no such artifacts. Just wanted to let you know … :)

Lag.mov

No problems, I'm also aware of the issue and I'll try to look at it - it just depends how dangerous the fix looks as to whether I'd leave the fix until 1.6.1 or not... :)

You're quite right - something's definitely gone wrong here - that's today's job sorted out then! ;) 

High five.

6 hours ago, MattP said:

but the width of the next thing you draw will change.

I understood, but this doesn't seem to be the case. For me, the pressure doesn't change no matter what. Please see the attachment. 20171026101849(1).mov (Those rain drops are so annoying.)

Additionally, if you start drawing with the Brush Tool and then convert it to a line in the Stroke tab, you cannot change the pressure to the line either.

I could say that converting a brush stroke with pressure to a dashed line doesn't work, but once the pressure is removed, it does, so I assume that much is by design.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff
10 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

High five.

I understood, but this doesn't seem to be the case. For me, the pressure doesn't change no matter what. Please see the attachment. 20171026101849(1).mov (Those rain drops are so annoying.)

Additionally, if you start drawing with the Brush Tool and then convert it to a line in the Stroke tab, you cannot change the pressure to the line either.

I could say that converting a brush stroke with pressure to a dashed line doesn't work, but once the pressure is removed, it does, so I assume that much is by design.

Perhaps the 'size variance' is set to 0% in the brush used on that line? I'll look into it, thanks! :)

Hi Matt, just to let you know, the issue with file permissions when you drag & drop file to AD window still occurs in RC1. When you drag the file to app dock icon, it works fine.

But if it's just me having the issue, you can safely forget about it :)

test.png

• Staff
38 minutes ago, jospo said:

Hi Matt, just to let you know, the issue with file permissions when you drag & drop file to AD window still occurs in RC1. When you drag the file to app dock icon, it works fine.

But if it's just me having the issue, you can safely forget about it :)

test.png

It's not just you, but it's certainly very very rare - and I think it has something to do with the number of active fonts you have... Do you happen to have around 3000 or more by any chance? We're looking into this right now...

20 minutes ago, MattP said:

It's not just you, but it's certainly very very rare - and I think it has something to do with the number of active fonts you have... Do you happen to have around 3000 or more by any chance? We're looking into this right now...

Thanks Matt for looking into this. I have about 800 font families installed.

• Staff
3 hours ago, VIPStephan said:

Thanks for fixing the panel issue, I really appreciate that. :)

However, you can’t possibly release version 1.6 without fixing the multiple monitor issue I reported back in beta 11. It has been introduced in that version, there was no issue like that before.

The issue is already fixed for the upcoming RC2 :)

Wish expanding stroke issue was also fixed. I love creating icons with AD because it's much easier.

But I have to work on a project with Sketch App. When I copy / paste from AD to Sketch it works perfect but I have to expand strokes sometimes.

Currently the workaround is to use 300 dpi document then scale them down. Fingers crossed for next update though :)

1 hour ago, Orhan said:

Wish expanding stroke issue was also fixed. I love creating icons with AD because it's much easier.

But I have to work on a project with Sketch App. When I copy / paste from AD to Sketch it works perfect but I have to expand strokes sometimes.

Currently the workaround is to use 300 dpi document then scale them down. Fingers crossed for next update though :)

Unfortunately the expand stroke/numerous anchor point issue is one of the still lingering factors for me in not adopting more of a daily Designer workflow for my work.

When combined with the inability to scale, rotate, align etc... or otherwise manipulate those extra individual anchor points, I am forced to use other tools... :-(   

It's these kinds of things that I am patiently waiting on fixes for. I hope that they are still on the todo list? :-) 

For me, I think expanding strokes have been greatly improved. I get minimal nodes any time I do it.

It's not too troublesome, but joining curves still causes the stroke size to change.

20171027185411(1).mov

2 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

For me, I think expanding strokes have been greatly improved. I get minimal nodes any time I do it.

It's not too troublesome, but joining curves still causes the stroke size to change.

20171027185411(1).mov

Yes it definitely has improved greatly since the first iteration earlier on. 

9 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

20171027185411(1).mov

Your example got me a bit confused. What I meant was Layer > Expand Stroke.

Layer > Expand Stroke.mov

Layer > Expand Stroke.afdesign

Hello Orhan,

I shared some small feedback on expanding strokes, but then my example was a different case.

There are chopped corners on strokes with pressure applied. Unless I choose the "Meter" join, the width variation of the pressure does not always smooth out. In this attachment, please see the example at 1:50.

Chopped_Corners_on_pressure.mp4

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.