You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6 - RC1)

Hi, I have an issue with the Artistic Text Tool in 1.6 beta or RC. Version 1.5 is OK.

- I create the left-aligned text "Lorem" with the X: 15pt.

- I edit the text (first letter must be different).

- The X is changed to 16pt, 14,2pt etc.

This is really annoying, because I always have to return the X to 15pt.

Any chance to fix this?

Thank you very much!

X.afdesign

On 27/10/2017 at 11:39 AM, jospo said:

Hi Matt, just to let you know, the issue with file permissions when you drag & drop file to AD window still occurs in RC1. When you drag the file to app dock icon, it works fine.

But if it's just me having the issue, you can safely forget about it :)

test.png

Just a heads-up: Affinity Designer never gave me this error message, but TextEdit *is* indeed showing it very often when opening .txt files (via double-clicking, in my case). Maybe it's related to iCloud Drive or some other issue in macOS (again, in my case, in Sierra)? By the way, the files usually open perfectly fine after quitting the app and reopening it.

• Staff
8 minutes ago, JGD said:

Just a heads-up: Affinity Designer never gave me this error message, but TextEdit *is* indeed showing it very often. Maybe it's related to iCloud Drive or something? By the way, the files usually open perfectly fine after quitting the app and reopening it.

Hmmm... now that's very interesting!?!

We're still looking into this at the moment....

15 minutes ago, MattP said:

Hmmm... now that's very interesting!?!

We're still looking into this at the moment....

I mean, I know it's apparently unrelated, but the wording is exactly the same (“bla bla because permission was denied”). Oh, actually (my bad!), it's when *saving*  .txt files (after having saved them properly several times before, with them still open) that I get the error. But still, in 15 years of using Mac OS X/OS X/macOS I had never seen that error message before. And I did check file ownership/permissions. ;) Pardon my ignorance, but I just gave some feedback because I have no idea whether that's a hard-coded but bog-standard Affinity Designer message, or a system-produced one.

Anyway, I get why some people have been complaining about stability/usability issues on the Mac side of things, as I've been getting those lately too… It's nothing critical, but nagging nonetheless. Just see the other thread I'm posting on about multiple monitors, it has bothered me for years now (by the way, on that topic, this RC1 reverted to the earlier, less-than-optimal but still not-as-bad behaviour; it would be nice if I could drag the whole studio panel grouping back to its rightful monitor without it going crazy and regrouping in undesirable ways; I may make a small video showing it in action).

So… yeah, those videos are now up and posted in the appropriate thread. I see that even though those Studio issues are not completely fixed yet, you've been making some good progress. Kudos and thanks for looking into it. :)

Hey Affinity Folks,

Noticed some odd behaviour. It appears that when switching languages from 'Default' to 'English', the spell checker still utilizes the 'English (United States)' dictonary (Eg. When switched to 'English', 'Colour' is highlighted as wrong, whereas 'Color' is deemed correct).

I'm probably the worst person in the world to try and pin this one down, as my spelling is atrocious, but by golly colour has 'u' :D

• Staff

Hi GregParris,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The spell checker is controlled by the Language dropdown on the bottom of the Character panel (menu View ▸ Studio ▸ Character).

Select the text object, change the dropdown to the desired language (each text object can have its own language) and it should fix the issue.

22 hours ago, JGD said:

I mean, I know it's apparently unrelated, but the wording is exactly the same (“bla bla because permission was denied”). Oh, actually (my bad!), it's when *saving*  .txt files (after having saved them properly several times before, with them still open) that I get the error. But still, in 15 years of using Mac OS X/OS X/macOS I had never seen that error message before. And I did check file ownership/permissions. ;) Pardon my ignorance, but I just gave some feedback because I have no idea whether that's a hard-coded but bog-standard Affinity Designer message, or a system-produced one.

Anyway, I get why some people have been complaining about stability/usability issues on the Mac side of things, as I've been getting those lately too… It's nothing critical, but nagging nonetheless. Just see the other thread I'm posting on about multiple monitors, it has bothered me for years now (by the way, on that topic, this RC1 reverted to the earlier, less-than-optimal but still not-as-bad behaviour; it would be nice if I could drag the whole studio panel grouping back to its rightful monitor without it going crazy and regrouping in undesirable ways; I may make a small video showing it in action).

This is an iCloud related issue as Affinity doesn't map its files to your local system, but to a virtual folder in iCloud that is then remapped onto your system and pulled down on-demand. It's something that both Affinity and Apple should test and determine the chmod issues on files with ownership, group and everyone.

I don't have anything to report at this time, just to say I am still really enjoying the brush stabilisers. I think it's my favorite addition to 1.6. A YouTuber thought I was using LazyNezumi, and I was telling him how brush stabilisation is a new feature in Designer. I use the Pen Tool often, but the stabiliser in the Pencil and Brush really works in my advantage.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

11 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi GregParris,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The spell checker is controlled by the Language dropdown on the bottom of the Character panel (menu View ▸ Studio ▸ Character).

Select the text object, change the dropdown to the desired language (each text object can have its own language) and it should fix the issue.

Hey MEB!

No such luck. 'Colour' remains red-squiggled as incorrect, whereas if I change it to 'Color', it gets a pass.

I've also tried this with other words like 'Accessorise/Accessorize' and gotten the same result. It always defaults to American spelling (Which is funny, as you guys are a UK company :D)

• Staff
17 hours ago, GregParris said:

Hey MEB!

No such luck. 'Colour' remains red-squiggled as incorrect, whereas if I change it to 'Color', it gets a pass.

I've also tried this with other words like 'Accessorise/Accessorize' and gotten the same result. It always defaults to American spelling (Which is funny, as you guys are a UK company :D)

Hi Greg,

Can you go into System Preferences > Language & Region. Is your Region dropdown set to United States? If so can you change this to United Kingdom.

Thanks

• Staff
1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Hi Greg,

Can you go into System Preferences > Language & Region. Is your Region dropdown set to United States? If so can you change this to United Kingdom.

Thanks

Each document has its own locale for the dictionary. The default locale for a new document is your current system language. I suspect that your system language must be set to US, if not then we have a bug to look into, but I do not have the same behaviour as you (I'm obviously set to UK) :)

6 hours ago, MattP said:

Each document has its own locale for the dictionary. The default locale for a new document is your current system language. I suspect that your system language must be set to US, if not then we have a bug to look into, but I do not have the same behaviour as you (I'm obviously set to UK) :)

You were ABSOLUTELY correct! My system level preferred language was set to US (which I promptly changed to UK).

Yet... 'Colour' is still red-squiggled as incorrect.

Which brings me to my other point (question?): Affinity Designer's System Preferences have distinct language options for 'English' and 'English (United States)', whereas the 'In document' character panel just has a singular 'English' option. Wouldn't it be more intuitive to also extent that Dual-English option to the character panel as well? As on the off-chance this 'Colour' fiasco isn't a bug, this seems like a fairly painful way to perform a simple regional language switch.

• Staff
30 minutes ago, GregParris said:

You were ABSOLUTELY correct! My system level preferred language was set to US (which I promptly changed to UK).

Yet... 'Colour' is still red-squiggled as incorrect.

Which brings me to my other point (question?): Affinity Designer's System Preferences have distinct language options for 'English' and 'English (United States)', whereas the 'In document' character panel just has a singular 'English' option. Wouldn't it be more intuitive to also extent that Dual-English option to the character panel as well? As on the off-chance this 'Colour' fiasco isn't a bug, this seems like a fairly painful way to perform a simple regional language switch.

Is 'colour' incorrectly underlined in a new document after you have chosen UK English as your system default? Here's a shot of mine:

59f9e857d7025_ScreenShot2017-11-01at15_28_16.png.41e446035df30d27854d1df74e5ca8f3.png

Thanks!

Matt

Studio panels... both for AD and AP

I'd love to see the Typography panel be made available as a dock-able panel, so that it could fit alongside the Character and Paragraph panels as well as being a separate window. Just seems to make sense to have it another tab alongside the other text formatting panels.

And, there's times I really wish the Studio panel AND/OR some of the panels had a scrollable length. There are times I simply cannot see enough of the panel info and scrolling would help.

Thanks – TimberTypography.png.378c1898c4b4a5e1ebae34c8064156ff.pngTypography1.jpg.13bddc9af3ebf8680f6e0ed2d5ea70f2.jpg

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Is 'colour' incorrectly underlined in a new document after you have chosen UK English as your system default? Here's a shot of mine:

59f9e857d7025_ScreenShot2017-11-01at15_28_16.png.41e446035df30d27854d1df74e5ca8f3.png

Thanks!

Matt

Hey Matt!

Yep! 'Colour' is incorrectly underlined. Images below (System language and Affinity Character language visable)

AFD - Colour Squiggle.jpg

Primary System Language (UK English).jpeg

25 minutes ago, MattP said:

It still does say Region: United States, plus as I said you need to try this in a new document. Is it still broken? :)

Doesn't the Region setting only affect things like the date format and the currency symbol, not the spoll chacker? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

18 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Doesn't the Region setting only affect things like the date format and the currency symbol, not the spoll chacker? :/

There is an option to change the spell checking as well, but it's easy to miss since it is carefully hidden. For some reason, it is under "Keyboard Shortcuts," and then in the "Text" tab. From there, you can choose the spelling rules based off of the language, which would be separate from the region you have set.

59fa0ddee54da_ScreenShot2017-11-01at2_09_59PM.png.67884e7351ef6079fa88733772b0318f.png

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

50 minutes ago, MattP said:

It still does say Region: United States, plus as I said you need to try this in a new document. Is it still broken? :)

Hey Matt!

I was under the (potentially incorrect) impression that region doesn't impact language, just things like currency, temperature, time, etc (like Alfred mentioned)

25 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I tried it under a new document, but still getting a red squiggle 

Just thinking out loud here, but if I have to change my entire system settings just for a working spell checker?....Well, that's not ideal. I'm not trying to be difficult here! Far from it, just pointing out that's not a particularly elegant solution. Granted, I couldn't code my way out of a box, so my opinion is moot at best.

AFD - Colour Squiggle v2.jpg

It's okay. We don't expect you to change your whole settings. What I said was only a suggestion and to point something out. Matt suggested something different, so maybe I gave the wrong advice. My fault.

56 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

It's okay. We don't expect you to change your whole settings. What I said was only a suggestion and to point something out. Matt suggested something different, so maybe I gave the wrong advice. My fault.

Hey Bri!

I actually meant Matt's suggestion with the 'Region' itself was still 'US'.

I certainly didn't mean to belittle or dismiss your helpful suggestion! (Thanks!)

As a whole, I guess I'm just looking for a simple (and obvious) button to change the 'In Program' spell checker to difference languages. Like in Illustrator. Or InDesign.

It seems like a handy feature to have. In the immediacy I'd like 'Colour' to have a 'u' without the spell checker feeding into my 'poor spelling' insecurities. My bar is set low! :D

No problem whatsoever. B|

And actually, I am getting the same result as you, and I have my in-program language set to English. I am getting "Color" as correct and "Colour" as incorrect, and even my browser does not recognize it. It sounds like the word is just spelled differently depending on the region. If you are looking for a way to add the word to the dictionary, I don't think there is a way to do that. 

Edit: Place your cursor on the word, and go to Text > Spelling (bottom) > Ignore Misspelled word.

Matt I'm getting this weird redraw bug where after I switch to Photoshop while AD is running, the artoboard titles turn to a black rectangle and everything on the screen gets pixelated... once in a while it refreshes, but usually it doesn't, even if I zoom in our oout, CMD 0, etc

10 hours ago, MattP said:

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 11.39.32 PM.png

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.