You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey guys,

Just 3 days ago, and after a pretty difficult chat support session, I've completely quit my Adobe habit with the removal of Lightroom/PS, and it's very liberating. I'm now a free man!

I'm now trying to finesse a photography workflow with the Affinity apps front and center. My current setup is I own Photo for both OSX and iOS but after the last couple of shoots I'm finding it very difficult to replace Lightroom in there.

Now, I know the fervor of an Affinity DAM is pretty intense, and I also know that it's confirmed for development, but I'm sure we won't see it for quite some time yet. Therefore, what do you guys use in it's place as of now?

I should also mention that because the storage space on both my iPad Pro and my MacBook is fairly limited, I keep all my files in a master folder on Dropbox and use oDrive to sync/unsync my files as I need them.

With Lightroom, my old workflow was as follows:

• Move images from camera to new job folder on OSX, they then get auto synced to Dropbox by oDrive
  • Open images in LR and save LR catalog file in the same folder as the images are in (again, gets fired up to Dropbox by oDrive)
  • Do required edits to images in LR, and on exit LR will auto update catalog with newest data and edits
  • Unsync new job folder with oDrive and everything gets auto synced to Dropbox

Pretty much it. The devs at oDrive said they are releasing a mobile version of thier app - which is fantastic news and that would certainly make life easier to use with AP on iOS.

So, what does your workflow look like? I'd like to find one that preserves non-destructive edits in the way LR cataloging used to. Not played with AP too much so really not sure if it's already included functionality.

Cheers,

Stu W.

There are lots of threads about DAMs in general and alternatives to Lightroom in particular. Here is one post about the latter.

23 hours ago, SaucyWeeTart said:

Now, I know the fervor of an Affinity DAM is pretty intense, and I also know that it's confirmed for development, but I'm sure we won't see it for quite some time yet.

You may not have seen this.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

To be honest, part of me still believes that they are still actively developing a DAM but they have recieved so much hysteria over it that they have changed thier official position and are now denying it until it's more production ready.

And frankly, who could blame them. Some posts I see on here from self-entitled morons is pretty irritating. If I had to moderate this forum, I'd go postal.

2 hours ago, SaucyWeeTart said:

To be honest, part of me still believes that they are still actively developing a DAM 

I started to write a book once. Got as far as writing "Chapter One" at the top of the page, then ran into writers block.

I would call that "under development". Just saying :D

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

4 hours ago, toltec said:

I started to write a book once. Got as far as writing "Chapter One" at the top of the page, then ran into writers block.

I would call that "under development". Just saying :D

On the other hand, you could call it "under-development"! :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)