You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colour Variation Tool

• Staff

Hi rainwilds,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Go to the Colour panel, click the small menu icon on the top right then select Add Chord to Swatch. You may want to create a new Palette first to store them going to the Swatches panel clicking on the small menu icon on top and selecting Add Document Palette (or one of the other option if you find more appropriate). All colors created/generated through the Add Chord to Swatch command will appear in the palette you created.

23 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi rainwilds,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Go to the Colour panel, click the small menu icon on the top right then select Add Chord to Swatch. You may want to create a new Palette first to store them going to the Swatches panel clicking on the small menu icon on top and selecting Add Document Palette (or one of the other option if you find more appropriate). All colors created/generated through the Add Chord to Swatch command will appear in the palette you created.

Get out! That's awesome! Really need monochromatic as an option though as that's the one I use most often. Unless it's under a different word?

19 minutes ago, rainwilds said:

Really need monochromatic as an option though as that's the one I use most often.

For any given hue there are thousands of combinations of saturation and lightness you could use, depending on the shade/tint and tone that you want. How would the program make those choices for you? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

20 minutes ago, Alfred said:

For any given hue there are thousands of combinations of saturation and lightness you could use, depending on the shade/tint and tone that you want. How would the program make those choices for you? :/

Because like analogous (which is in the software), monochromatic is a known standard variation of colour. Check out the following:

https://color.adobe.com

3 hours ago, rainwilds said:

monochromatic is a known standard variation of colour

Engineers (including, but not limited to, software engineers) love standards. That's why there are so many of them! :D

The Adobe Kuler values are hugely variable. Even if you choose a simple base colour such as pure RGB red, which in HSL terms is (0, 100, 50), the luminance values for their set of five tinting and shading variants don't show a logical progression. And then there's the question of having variable saturation (tone) values, not to mention the choice of how many different swatches to generate. In summary, there would need to be some extra controls that simply aren't needed for the current options.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 hours ago, Alfred said:

Engineers (including, but not limited to, software engineers) love standards. That's why there are so many of them! :D

The Adobe Kuler values are hugely variable. Even if you choose a simple base colour such as pure RGB red, which in HSL terms is (0, 100, 50), the luminance values for their set of five tinting and shading variants don't show a logical progression. And then there's the question of having variable saturation (tone) values, not to mention the choice of how many different swatches to generate. In summary, there would need to be some extra controls that simply aren't needed for the current options.

I think your over complicating it. I just need to replicate what Adobe does - or similar. Monochromatic is a common used standard. Look at the Adobe website I linked. Colour variations are just mathematical equations. Some base colour theory must already exist in the software because of the existing colour variation options. So don't see the drama of another. It's the one I use most often for web design and it is a definitive need I personally would benefit from. I'm sure others would also.