You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am using Affinity Photo. I'm a novice to photo editing. Please excuse me if I don't explain what happened well. I uploaded a photo to Affinity with a transparent background. When I exported it back to my computer, the background became white. Or maybe I saved it. I don't exactly recall. At any rate, I've lost my photo with the transparent background and I need it for changing backgrounds on it. How can I get it back? Please help. 

Thank you for getting back to me. I saved it in png. If I reupload the image with the white background into Affinity, the background shows transparent in Affinity. Then when I export it as png, it has the white background again. I looked this up online the other day and thought I saw something about a bug in Affinity. I’m sorry for being so incomplete in my explanation last night. I was exhausted from a long day at work and not thinking clearly. I work terribly long hours and can only do my personal things during short breaks. Thank you 

Hi.

I just tried. I created a file with a transparent background.

I created and saved it as both an Affinity .afphoto and .afdesign file, then exported the file as a PNG and a TIFF file. 

In every case it works perfectly. It loads back with the transparent background. What's more, either file  loads into either of the two programs. Still transparent.

howlingtrans.png.864587050dec095be4a06694899df6fa.png

So sorry, no idea what went wrong in your case.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

38 minutes ago, GailToo said:

If I reupload the image with the white background into Affinity, the background shows transparent in Affinity. Then when I export it as png, it has the white background again.

In the Export dropdown window, click the "More" button & make sure the rectangle next to "Matte:" has a red slash through it, like this:

Matte.png.ab7e20fc67ef69b2db286aa7a3ae9c54.png

If it does not, click on the rectangle & from the popup color picker, click on the tiny white circle with a red slash through it. (It is just to the left of the eyedropper icon.) The red slash indicates 'no color' -- anything else, even an all white matte rectangle, will override the transparency & fill the background with that matte color.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 hours ago, GailToo said:

Toltec - thank you also for your time and effort to help me. It seems people at this forum are helpful and kind. 

Yes, they certainly are both helpful and kind. And they really know their onions! I've learnt so much being on here, and I've yet to post a question.

It's (virtually) a great place to be.

Affinity Designer & Photo  :  Win 10

Dear R C-R

I tried what you said several times and, unfortunately, it didn't work. I am attaching the below screenshots.

1) Image from my computer files with matte background
2) Same image imported to Affinity now has transparent background
3) The rectangle was matte as you thought. I changed it to have the red slash, although the method of changing it was slightly different from your description.

4) Export was set as PNG
5) After exported to my computer file, background was matte again.

Any hope for me? Could it be a bug of some sort? Affinity Photo 'About' says I have version 1.5.2 if that helps any.

Thank you

Lions With Matte Background from My Computer Files .png

Transparent Background in Affinity Photo Screenshot .png

Export Red Slash .png

PNG Selected For Export.png

Image after Exported to Computer .png

34 minutes ago, GailToo said:

1) Image from my computer files with matte background

How are you viewing this image outside of Affinity Photo? Quick View & Finder window views on Macs will not show transparency -- you won't see the checkered background like you would in Affinity or Apple's Preview app.

Try either opening the exported png file in Preview.app, or in Finder select the file & use "Get Info" from the File menu (or with the CMD+i keyboard shortcut) to display the "More Info" section. If you see "Alpha Channel: Yes" there, the file has a transparent background.

59eff225178d6_moreinfo.png.b1235b4e214f6cffb7633fc8cd53d775.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, GailToo said:

I don’t even know how you figured I have a Mac.

The Apple menu in the corner of your screen shots was a pretty good clue. xD

Affinity Photo 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2017 at 10:08 PM, R C-R said:

Hello R C-R, Thank you again for your help. I finally had a chance to take a look and it does say yes after Alpha channel. What a relief!! Thank you so much and have a nice Sunday!!

On 10/24/2017 at 10:08 PM, R C-R said:

How are you viewing this image outside of Affinity Photo? Quick View & Finder window views on Macs will not show transparency -- you won't see the checkered background like you would in Affinity or Apple's Preview app.

Try either opening the exported png file in Preview.app, or in Finder select the file & use "Get Info" from the File menu (or with the CMD+i keyboard shortcut) to display the "More Info" section. If you see "Alpha Channel: Yes" there, the file has a transparent background.

59eff225178d6_moreinfo.png.b1235b4e214f6cffb7633fc8cd53d775.png