You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hiding, unhiding, locking, unlocking

So far, I've only found one way to hide objects in AD: locate them in the layers palette, and uncheck the mark next to them, with the mouse. With AD's extremely crowded layer palette (and only a non-shortcut way to locate objects in the palette, via menu), this is cumbersome and time consuming. In Illustrator, any active object can be hidden and locked with command-3 or command-2 (plus option-command for the reverse action). This is my number one hinderance for a quick work flow in Designer right now. 

Second big complaint, which I'm sure you guys are working on: Eye dropper tool. I mean ... come on! 

Thanks, 

jlab

v1.6 gives the ability to set any keyboard shortcut you like for hiding / showing - you can try out the Beta version (which is very stable for me) via the forums here.

As for finding things in the layers panel - do you have 'Show selection in Layers Panel' checked in the Preferences > User Interface? this can save a lot of time.

Also right click any object and the bottom item on the context menu is 'Find in Layers Panel'

I think you are going to have to be more specific about the eye dropper / colour picker: What don't you like about it?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Oh, that's good news. Do you know the release date for 1.6?

As for the eye dropper tool: What I would like is a tool that grabs whatever color you hover over, with one click, Photoshop style. ADs process seems incredibly counter-intuivite in comparison. Also: IMO that tool belongs into the regular toolbox, with an easy keyboard shortcut to call it up. Am I wrong?

v1.6 has had a good run of betas and the bugs are getting squashed pretty rapidly, so I'd guess it will be release within the next month - however the official line is 'it is ready when it is ready'. There is no reason not to try it out now though since it installs in parallel with v1.5.

There are 2 versions of the eyedropper tool in AD.

One lives in the Colour / Swatches Panel... it is a bit quirky (IMHO) as it samples to its own colour pot, which then has to be applied to objects as a second operation - I am sure there is a valid reason for this design choice, but I haven't found it yet!

The second one is the Colour Picker Tool which lives in the Tools (two from the bottom by default). It has the shortcut key I and works with a single click to sample colour to the selected object.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro