You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Aztec Bar & Restaurant

RaymondDO

Hi all -

One of my first draft versions for a wall decoration concept for Aztec, a potential start-up bar restaurant. Although the client likes it, I am sensing a few opportunities for improvement.

The space under the name Aztec needs to be filled by another text block - either 'Bar' or 'Restaurant' - depending on where the image will be placed, or how it will be used. 

I am also contemplating whether the design needs more color, although the client feels that the overall sandy-color reminds him of his homeland Mexico. We are still playing with the ruby-red 'gemstones' which could potentially be recolored in blue to become more complimentary to the design's yellow/orange overtones. 

Happy with all else so far; looking forward to receiving your feedback, critiques and ideas.

Cheers!

aztec-sm.jpg

I really like the design but I'm wondering where it will be used.

As it's for a bar/restaurant I'm guessing that it could be on a window at some point and that would probably mean some design changes.

Window stickers usually have no shading on them and are not usually more than one colour. Have you had a look to see how the design works in this sort of situation?
Also, have you thought about how big the "Aztec" name would have to be if the design was on a window. Once it's big enough to be distinguishable from, say, the other side of the street, would the whole design be so big that it obscures the rest of the window and therefore the interior with all of the happy customers?

It shouldn't be too difficult to find a picture of the exterior of a bar/restaurant and put it under your design to see what it might look like. If your client can give you a photo of the place they are thinking of setting up in then that might be ideal.

If your client doesn't want the design on the window then there's probably no bother but if they do (or they might) then it's probably better to get that sorted as soon as possible as it will affect the whole design. No point getting bogged down in the details if the whole thing needs to change.

Of course, all of the above assumes that the same design will be wanted everywhere. If my current weird fixation on windows is not applicable then just ignore me.

Hi GarryP - thanks heaps for your response. Always good to receive someone else's perspective, especially when coming from our Affinity community!

Use: It's a concept for a wall decoration; printed on an approximately 190 mm wide medium, with one concept placed in the restaurant itself [where it will say "Restaurant" under Aztec]. A second one may be placed in the bar area where, of course, it will say "Bar" instead. Maximal viewing distance will probably not exceed 20 meters, or there about. Perhaps best to consider it a poster concept.

The design replaces the original idea for a fixed, Fresco-like adornment, which proved too costly and may be too sensitive to regular wall washing/repainting. 

As it will be printed professionally, the concept can include shadows and fine details. 

Watch the kerning in the word AZTEC. As they sit now, there is too much of a tangent between the A and Z; they are just barely kissing. They either need to be really pulled together so that they overlap a bit and form one distinct shape, or spread apart so there is a gap between them, similar to the other letters. Also, the E and C could probably be brought a touch closer together as well.

Ah. As it's going to be printed then you can obviously ignore my window-based concerns.

As for extra colours, blue/turquoise and green/jade seem to have had special meanings for the Aztecs so they might be good additions but I'm not sure where you could use them best.