You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Beginner Question: Transparency & SVG Layers

Hi all, I have been playing around with the basic things in Affinity and am wanting to get to the next level. I'm not sure of the terminology, but how do I make part of an image with several layers transparent (such as the attached example)?  I am trying to recreate that look in part.

Thank you for your help.

Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 9.13.13 PM.png

33 minutes ago, bookery said:

Oops. I think I should have put this in the Tutorial forum. 

No, the Questions forum is the right place for questions! You should only create a thread in the Tutorials forum if you’re sharing a tutorial that you’ve written.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

If you tell us which Affinity app you are using (Photo or Designer) it will be easier to tell you what specifically you should do, but in general you will need to begin by setting the document to have a transparent background. From there it depends on the kind of layers (pixel, vector, image, etc.) your document has.

I am not sure what you mean by "SVG layers" in the title. Are you referring to importing an svg file?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi bookery,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I'm not seeing any transparent parts on that image. If you are referring to the wolf, it's simply a single (or more) vector objects (a silhouette of the wolf + rock and some trees) that's placed above all other layers/objects (in that case thew moon) in the layer's hierarchy to which you give the same colour as the background (dark blue). In other words the moon is placed between the blue background and the wolf+rock+ three group.

Hi, I am using Affinity Designer and the picture is of a t-shirt.  I am assuming the wolf is a png or svg art file brought in and layered over the moon and then made transparent to allow the shirt color to show through (this is my goal as I'm making a t-shirt).  

That sort of thing is incredibly easy to do in Designer but there is one big caution.

howl.jpg.2cead96d3bcd6fb3157d6eebd74d9fa6.jpg

In teeshirt (silkscreen) printing, you don't print the black, you print the white.

You must consider that before you do anything. This image would be useless.

It needs to be inverted, like this

neg.jpg.b0397f2e8c812ed3a9e2d6e3cf1e5d8b.jpg

And printed in white. Easy to do, I just inverted the image.

Do speak to the printers before you do anything.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Sooo, how do you do that kind of image?  (It's not silkscreen it's DTG.)

4 minutes ago, toltec said:

That sort of thing is incredibly easy to do in Designer but there is one big caution.

howl.jpg.2cead96d3bcd6fb3157d6eebd74d9fa6.jpg

In teeshirt (silkscreen) printing, you don't print the black, you print the white.

You must consider that before you do anything. This image would be useless.

Ah, I used to work with silkscreen printers but have never done anything  DTG. I don't know I'm afraid. I imagine it prints white ink for that ?

To do the file, I just googled a moon, loaded the moon into Designer and found a wolf. Black on white.

You will need to rasterise the wolf image. Right click on the layer and click rasterise, so you can edit it.

To make the wolf background transparent, in Pixel Persona, Select > Tonal Range > Highlights  and press Delete.  Thats gets rid of the white and gives you a transparent background. Just place the wolf above the moon.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.