You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add Shortcut to move Layers in Affinity Photo

My photo retouching workflow often results in many layers, such that I can't see them all in the layer list.

When I attempt to use the mouse to drag a layer near the top of the stack to the bottom of the stack, I can only move within the range of visible layers.  I can't reach a layer below those that are visible in the panel.

I'd like to see a shortcut where you can select a layer, then use the up / down arrow keys to move it to a new location.  It should scroll the layer stack if you're attempting to "arrow down" toward the bottom of the stack.

It's possible there is some existing technique I'm not aware of :)

Thank you for your consideration - Love Affinity Photo on my PC

CTRL+ [

and

CTRL + ]

Will move the layer(s) up and down in the layers panel but they wont scroll the layer stack

If you have a big enough screen (working area) you can detach the layers panel and make it the full height of your screen so you see much more layers

Or move it to a second monitor if you have one, like me

Hopefully Serif will look at making the layer stack scroll for people with limited workspace.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On Macs, the equivalents for forward one & back one are CMD+] & CMD+[ respectively. Also pressing the shift key moves to the front or back of the layers stack. (These commands are on the Arrange menu & also can be accessed in the main toolbar "Order" buttons.)

Right clicking on any layer on the canvas pops opens a contextual menu. The last item on it is "Find in Layers Panel" which will scroll to that layer in the Layers panel, expanding a [Group] or [Layer] layer if needed.

At least on Macs, dragging a layer to near the top or bottom of the Layers panel window will scroll the list if not all of its items are visible. However, there is a slight delay before scrolling starts & if the layer is dragged too far above or below the ends of the list scrolling won't begin or will stop, so it can be a bit tricky to get it to work.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7