You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tools stop working

Since the last beta I have had the clone tool just stop working. Today was the 3rd instance in the last couple of weeks

I check all the usual possibilities (not having a layer selected etc) but the clone brush break. A reboot does not help.

If I do a control runup and leave reset everything, it is fixed, but control runup is getting a bit tiring

This will happen in the middle of a session - cloning one second and it stops in the middle of working. Other tools are getting affected but I have not taken the time to check them all

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

• Staff

Hi Rick,

Next time it stops working could you take zip up a copy of the App Data folder for the Photo Beta please and attach it/send it to us please? Also when it stops working are you sure your context toolbar still says 'Current Layer' or 'Current Layer and Below' instead of 'Layers Beneath'?

3 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Rick,

Next time it stops working could you take zip up a copy of the App Data folder for the Photo Beta please and attach it/send it to us please? Also when it stops working are you sure your context toolbar still says 'Current Layer' or 'Current Layer and Below' instead of 'Layers Beneath'?

Will do.

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

On 10/23/2017 at 8:42 AM, Rick G said:
On 10/23/2017 at 4:45 AM, Sean P said:

Hi Rick,

Here you go. THere are 2 before closing the program. Win RAR choked trying to compress APPDATA items so the small one may be dismissed

There is another AFTER closing AP should yo need it

EDIT: It required a control runup so fix the issue

Download link
https://we.tl/js41BLJERb
3 files
Clone Brush issue 1-0 (Beta After.rar
Clone Brush issue 1.0 (Beta) Before.rar
Clone Brush issue 1-0 (Beta) Before.rar 
Edited by Rick G
Problem is worse

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• Staff

Hi Rick,

Unfortunately I'm still unable to reproduce this issue. Using both Before and After copies of AppData. Once it goes wrong for you can you open a different image and does that also fail? Have you tried using Alt to reposition the clone point when it stops working?

Are you able to do a screen recording showing the issue please?

5 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Rick,

Unfortunately I'm still unable to reproduce this issue. Using both Before and After copies of AppData. Once it goes wrong for you can you open a different image and does that also fail? Have you tried using Alt to reposition the clone point when it stops working?

Are you able to do a screen recording showing the issue please?

Every tool in that dropdown ceases working (healing brush etc) It gets locked onto one size and the bracket keys do not work (But the context sliders seem to work but lets not chisel that in stone quite yet). This also happens with the clone brush. I am not sure what gets fried or when or in conjunction with what other tools.

It is random. I will do a screen recording but it will just show me desperately clicking and nothing happening (And me being an expert at not selecting the layer first and nothing happening, I check that first)

And the control runup is the only fix. I have tried all variations of rebooting, cleaning out temp files etc

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• Staff
30 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Every tool in that dropdown ceases working (healing brush etc) It gets locked onto one size and the bracket keys do not work (But the context sliders seem to work but lets not chisel that in stone quite yet). This also happens with the clone brush. I am not sure what gets fried or when or in conjunction with what other tools.

It is random. I will do a screen recording but it will just show me desperately clicking and nothing happening (And me being an expert at not selecting the layer first and nothing happening, I check that first)

And the control runup is the only fix. I have tried all variations of rebooting, cleaning out temp files etc

What keyboard do you use? And does it require any special software being installed? It sounds like it isn't playing ball with your keyboard if it is that the brush sizing (which should be set to [ and ] ) keys that actually stop working. So just to be clear you can still clone things, but you're unable to use the keyboard to resize brush sizes?

3 minutes ago, Sean P said:

What keyboard do you use? And does it require any special software being installed? It sounds like it isn't playing ball with your keyboard if it is that the brush sizing (which should be set to [ and ] ) keys that actually stop working. So just to be clear you can still clone things, but you're unable to use the keyboard to resize brush sizes?

No the tool stops working at all including resizing. Inpainting just died

2017-10-27_9-13-07.mp4

2017-10-27_9-14-52.gif

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

Did not need a control runup that time - closing and reopening the program was sufficient

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• Staff
5 minutes ago, Rick G said:

No the tool stops working at all including resizing. Inpainting just died

2017-10-27_9-13-07.mp4

You're doing it on a 'Image' layer (which is a non-editable embedded image and generally comes from using File > Place), rather than a regular 'Pixel' layer - check the Layers Panel. 

If you go to View > Assistant Manager try changing 'Other Brushes on Vector Layers' from 'Take No Action' to 'Rasterise Layer and Apply Brush'.

By default this is set to 'Rasterise Layer and Apply Brush', so I can only assume this is being changed to 'Take No Action'

Sean, the tools BREAK. For this example I made a new background added a graphic then duplicated it.

2017-10-27_9-29-03.png

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• Staff
1 minute ago, Rick G said:

Sean, the tools BREAK. For this example I made a new background added a graphic then duplicated it.

I don't disbelieve you, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of what is actually happening. We cannot go to development and just tell them 'the tools have broken can you fix it?'. We have to get to the bottom and find out what it is that causes them to stop working.

• Staff

So I can reproduce what you are seeing in the video, but ONLY with the following tools:

• Healing Brush Tool
  • Patch Tool
  • Blemish Removal Tool
  • Inpainting Brush Tool
  • Red Eye Removal Tool

As I said previously in your video you are using them on an 'Image' layer (Using File > Place will give you an 'Image' layer) , these are slightly different to 'Pixel' layers (Using File > Open and opening a JPG will open it as a 'Pixel' Layer). The tools listed above will only work on 'Pixel' layers (because they're layers that contain the actual pixel data, and not just an embedded file).

Now other tools, such as the Paint Brush, Erase Brush, Dodge/Burn Brush and Clone Brush will automatically convert these 'Image' to 'Pixel' layers based on the settings in your Assistant Manager (as I previously mentioned). However the Inpainting Tool (and all the others found on that flyout) ignore your assistants setting and will never convert to a pixel layer which is what I believe the bug to be.

I will get this passed onto development to see if this is a bug, or a limitation of 'Image' Layers.
Does this description make sense?

2 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Now other tools, such as the Paint Brush, Erase Brush, Dodge/Burn Brush and Clone Brush will automatically convert these 'Image' to 'Pixel' layers based on the settings in your Assistant Manager (as I previously mentioned). However the Inpainting Tool (and all the others found on that flyout) ignore your assistants setting and will never convert to a pixel layer which is what I believe the bug to be.

This inconsistent behaviour has been discussed a few times in other threads. Ideally there would be a Preferences setting for 'Always convert' or 'Always warn', but it's really unhelpful to have the program silently do nothing when an Image layer is selected and the current tool only works on a Pixel layer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

This inconsistent behaviour has been discussed a few times in other threads. Ideally there would be a Preferences setting for 'Always convert' or 'Always warn', but it's really unhelpful to have the program silently do nothing when an Image layer is selected and the current tool only works on a Pixel layer.

I do understand. If this is due to technical reasons then I'll see if we can do something better, at the very least display a popup message (similar to using the clone tool before picking a clone point) to rasterise the layer first.

9 minutes ago, Sean P said:

So I can reproduce what you are seeing in the video, but ONLY with the following tools:

• Healing Brush Tool
  • Patch Tool
  • Blemish Removal Tool
  • Inpainting Brush Tool
  • Red Eye Removal Tool

As I said previously in your video you are using them on an 'Image' layer (Using File > Place will give you an 'Image' layer) , these are slightly different to 'Pixel' layers (Using File > Open and opening a JPG will open it as a 'Pixel' Layer). The tools listed above will only work on 'Pixel' layers (because they're layers that contain the actual pixel data, and not just an embedded file).

I will get this passed onto development to see if this is a bug, or a limitation of 'Image' Layers.
Does this description make sense?

What would you different to test your proposition with the tools in the healing brush group? I never dismiss the possibility that the issue is between the chair and the keyboard 

Sometimes tools will quit in mid-project. I have been cloning and it is working and then just hangs. Perhaps this is a different issue

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• Staff
Just now, Rick G said:

What would you different to test your proposition with the tools in the healing brush group? I never dismiss the possibility that the issue is between the chair and the keyboard 

Sometimes tools will quit in mid-project. I have been cloning and it is working and then just hangs. Perhaps this is a different issue

I'm not sure I understand your first question. But it could very well be a different issue. If you find this starts happening then first try Select > Deselect to ensure you don't have a very small selection active. Selections less than 50% opacity do not show as marching ants.

Sean, you asked about my keyboard: Normal USB keyboard that runs on Windows 10 drivers. No extra software or anything like that

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• Staff
1 minute ago, Rick G said:

Sean, you asked about my keyboard: Normal USB keyboard that runs on Windows 10 drivers. No extra software or anything like that

That's fine! Early on in the pre-release beta we did have a customer who had some Logitech software that clashed with the app and stopped shortcut keys from working. So I just wanted to rule that out.

8 minutes ago, Sean P said:

That's fine! Early on in the pre-release beta we did have a customer who had some Logitech software that clashed with the app and stopped shortcut keys from working. So I just wanted to rule that out.

Logitech? Been there done that. The wireless products are especially vicious. We dumped them a while back

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

Should I change anything in the way I do things to avoid the issue with the healing tools? When creating that mess I posted, I created a background, copied the image from within AP on another tab, then pasted it, resized it then duplicated it and dragged it to the left and started working on it getting the failure of the inpainting brush

I have don similar without a problem but again, anything I should change or add to that workflow?

Thanks

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• Staff
19 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Should I change anything in the way I do things to avoid the issue with the healing tools? When creating that mess I posted, I created a background, copied the image from within AP on another tab, then pasted it, resized it then duplicated it and dragged it to the left and started working on it getting the failure of the inpainting brush

I have don similar without a problem but again, anything I should change or add to that workflow?

Thanks

I think you just need to be aware of the differences between the 'Image' layers and 'Pixel' Layers. Image layers cannot be edited like 'Pixel' layers can. To ensure you can edit these normally just right click and select 'Rasterise'.

ImagePixel.png

20 minutes ago, Sean P said:

I think you just need to be aware of the differences between the 'Image' layers and 'Pixel' Layers. Image layers cannot be edited like 'Pixel' layers can. To ensure you can edit these normally just right click and select 'Rasterise'.

ImagePixel.png

Let me play with that. The death of the clone brush is real though. I can be successfully clicking away and that one just stops

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.