You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there,

as an Adobe user for years I´m thinking about switching to AP and donwloaded the trial version. From what I see after one day of testing I´m really impressed and I´m sure it not only can replace Photoshop, it seems to be the better software.

With that said I have some questions from a AP beginner (not a image editing beginner at all) perspective:

1. Is there a way to "export" images from Adobe Lightroom right into AP? I mean some option to set AP as the external editor in LR

2. Is there an option to save individual workspaces such as in Photoshop? I mean customize the canvas and panels I use the most and save that.

3. If 2. is possible is there a way to use these individual workspaces on two Macs? I´m using an iMac and a MacBook and would like to have the same environment on both machines

4. Is there a specific workflow with CaptureOne? I mean use C1 for tethering, as catalog and for RAW processing and AP for more advanced image editing/retouching

5. Are "panels" available such as in PS? I mean can I arrange my panels and tools in a way shown in the attached screenshots (and save this in my workspace)?

I think that´s all for the moment.

Thanks a lot for your support.

Cheers
Michael

arrange-panels.jpeg

open-close-panels.jpeg

Unfortunately, you can't save different workspace configurations & recall them. This has been requested by several users. The developers have said this may be added to some future update or upgrade, but there is no guarantee that will ever happen.

However, you can configure panels in many different ways, including 'undocking' any of them so they 'float' in the display, grouping them differently in the left or right Studios, & enabling/disabling individual ones from the View > Studio menu flyout (& assigning custom keyboard shortcuts to them so you don't have to go to the menu to do that). You can also double-click on a panel's or panel group's name to minimize it to just the title bar & single click on that to expand it back to its previous size. The main toolbar & the Tools panel can also be customized to include, exclude, or rearrange its items, & you can also assign custom keyboard shortcuts to activate the tools.

All these configurations are 'sticky' between app launches, so while there is just the one workspace configuration, at least you don't have to keep setting it up repeatedly.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

39 minutes ago, Michael Oeser said:

How about my questions 1. and 4. Any ideas on that?

I don't have any experience with either app but there are several topics that include replies from people who do. Searching the forum on either app name should help you find some of them but hopefully you will get some replies here from others that will save you the hassle of doing that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

31 minutes ago, IanSG said:

I haven't used LR for a while so I can't try this myself, but have a look at http://blog.thomasfitzgeraldphotography.com/blog/2016/4/how-to-use-affinity-photo-as-an-external-editor-for-lightroom

You´re right. That works.

By the way: which RAW converter/catalog  do you use if you don´t use Lightroom?

16 hours ago, Michael Oeser said:

By the way: which RAW converter/catalog  do you use if you don´t use Lightroom?

I use AP for handling the RAW files and XnViewMP for cataloging - it plays nicely with AP and it's free!  It was intended as a stop gap until Affinity produced their own DAM, but I'll have to rethink that now that that's even more of an unknown quantity than it was before.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10