Birder

AP keeps selecting the eraser tool on my Huion GT221

Hi

I am a new user to Affinity Photo but have used Photoshop for years. I have a Huion GT221 graphics drawing monitor which seems to work well, but I am having one problem.

If i select the Brush tool and start drawing the Huion pen will work as it should for a few seconds and then without doing anything the toolbar selection will change to the erazer tool as if I have pressed E on the keyboard.

If I move the Pen away from the screen the Eazer tool is selected as if this is some sort of default but i cant see where you change it.

The Huion does not do this in Photoshop and I am not pressing the buttons on the pen.bbb

Any ideas? as its driving me crackers

With my tablet and pen if I turn the pen upside down it automatically actives the eraser tool as it is supposed to do

Could you be using your drawing monitor at an angle and accidentally rotating the pen so it actives the erase function

Alternatively try deactivating the upside down pen erase function on your pen and see if that cures the problem

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

Hey Birder,

I've not seen this happen with any of our tablets—and we've got quite a few. I'm not entirely sure what it could be if Photoshop is fine. Have you tried changing your Windows Ink settings to see if this stops the issue happening?

Hi Birder, did you solve this problem as I have exactly the same problem on my Mac Mini using the Huion KamvasGT-221Pro. Every time I select the brush tool and go to paint it immediately switches to the eraser tool - frustrating!

Yes I've seen this too.

I think I persuaded myself that I was hitting the pen button (which possibly defaults to Eraser).

Try changing the button actions to None in the driver settings, and see if the issue persists.

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)

Hey just chiming in to say that my Huion gt220 v2 is experiencing the same issue. I don't experience this problem in Krita. I also notice that the issue is very easily reproduced EVERY time I use the mouse, even just to move it and switch back to the tablet pen. Seems like a context switching issue.

Can we please get some assurance that this is being looked into!??

I also get the same behavior in Designer. Im running win 10. build 1607 using a huion gt220 v2 on driver 13.15.16.180104.

I experience NONE of these issues in any other software. This is becoming very frustrating as I am not able to utilize my investment to its potential.

Between this issue and the inconsistency in drawing smooth un-stepped curves in photo with a pen, quick workflow is almost impossible.

Are there others on windows who don't experience any issues what-so-ever? What are you windows and pen and tablet settings?

ChrisB - You mention you've got these tablets to try out, what drivers are you using?

Hey Chris, thanks for heads up. It did not work however, its the same behavior as before.

It occurs when either app loses tablet focus by the mouse being moved or the pen is being lifted a little off the tablet. Then it just defaults me right to eraser mode.

I am not, I am a few revisions below. The ones released on January 4th.  The newest drivers seem to have issues installing on my system. I also notice problems in the newest version of gimp.

Krita and inkscape are unaffected.

I don't think this is a configuration or driver issue otherwise nothing should work. Likely its just down to how you guys are communicating with the tablets. Maybe Huion is doing something funky and out of spec and it needs to handled as an edge-case?

UPDATE: Looks like I had a wacom driver on my system that was most likely conflicting. The auto-switch has been solved for me. I still get stepped curves while drawing under certain pressures, but i think that is a whole other issue.

I had this exact same issue, using a Huion h640p on Win 7, and fixed it using the steps below removing a conflict with some windows software after a lot of reading around.  This may work for Win10.  I'd also recommend disabling Windows Ink on Win 10 (don't think this is much of an issue in Win 7 but I've unchecked it in the Huion driver anyway), google will throw up a how to on disabling Ink.

After fixing I was also able to get the latest driver installed (previously using an old one as the new ones wouldn't detect the tablet as connected), so if you can't install the latest driver for windows, this may help with that as well.

1. Press start key, search for and open services.exe

2. Scroll down to Tablet PC input service

3.  Right Click and choose properties.  Look for 'Startup Type' and choose 'Disabled' from the drop down menu.

4. Restart PC and go through 1-3 again to check that Tablet PC input service status is blank and the startup type remains disabled.  Because windows.

5. Uninstall and reinstall Huion driver. 

This then worked for me without restart or unplugging or re-plugging the tablet back in.  I tried another uninstall of the old Huion driver (13.15.2 (8192)) and reinstalled the latest one (14.7.6) just to see, and it also worked where previously it hadn't.  I can't find the link again but I read that microsoft recommends disabling this service if you're using an external tablet/one that comes with it's own software, but it's not easy to find.

Hope this helps someone!

Fresh install of Windows 10 - latest October 2018 update.

Using a XP Pen Deco 03 I notice the same behavior described here - I'm using the dodge/burn brush and suddenly the pen switches to eraser.

I've never owned or had a wacom tablet installed so there are no other drivers installed beyond the XP Pen drivers (working fine with other applications - Photoshop etc..).

Let me know if there are log files/anything I could provide that would help fix and eradicate this bug!

Please can you fix!

Using an XP-Pen Artist22 Pro on windows 10, same issue here. When the pen goes out of focus (it separates a little bit from the screen) the eraser tool is selected. It's very very annoying. I love the software, but I don't think I can continue to use it with this issue.

Edit: I disabled Windows Ink following this and seems to be working for me. Please, If this is solved say something so I can enable Windows Ink again. Thanks

So, disabling Windows Ink solves the problem (it happens with other apps as well....)

Anyway, before reading that, I was starting to think ( I have wacom, no probs) it could be fixed by setting up a different key in the eraser tool shortcut preferences in Affinity photo/designer....So, maybe changing the key for another, or deleting any key shortcut from that eraser tool might solve some issue.

I might also review/check button assigned functions in your XP-Pen Deco's specific driver's panel, global settings, found at Windows settings/control panel.

But if disabling Windows Ink (maybe also tablet pc input?) I believe I always disable all those, and hand writing recognition, all that tends to get in the way with many apps (even with Wacom)....) did fix the option, is clear that for certain libraries or system thing (maybe not used by your other painting apps), Windows Ink was messing with the buttons ( I experienced to be the case, and also Tablet input and hand writing recognition for other brands's software applications. So, is sth I always toggle ON/OFF when no better guess is in place, because drivers have been firstly wiped out, clean driver install, etc).

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

Using an XP-Pen Artist22 Pro on windows 10,

That made me totally jealous.....

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

On 11/27/2018 at 8:09 PM, SrPx said:

That made me totally jealous.....

It's worth every penny!

On 11/27/2018 at 8:09 PM, SrPx said:

So, disabling Windows Ink solves the problem (it happens with other apps as well....)

Anyway, before reading that, I was starting to think ( I have wacom, no probs) it could be fixed by setting up a different key in the eraser tool shortcut preferences in Affinity photo/designer....So, maybe changing the key for another, or deleting any key shortcut from that eraser tool might solve some issue.

I might also review/check button assigned functions in your XP-Pen Deco's specific driver's panel, global settings, found at Windows settings/control panel.

But if disabling Windows Ink (maybe also tablet pc input?) I believe I always disable all those, and hand writing recognition, all that tends to get in the way with many apps (even with Wacom)....) did fix the option, is clear that for certain libraries or system thing (maybe not used by your other painting apps), Windows Ink was messing with the buttons ( I experienced to be the case, and also Tablet input and hand writing recognition for other brands's software applications. So, is sth I always toggle ON/OFF when no better guess is in place, because drivers have been firstly wiped out, clean driver install, etc).

I tried first deleting the key shortcut for the eraser and deleting the assigned functions in the XP-Pen panel and did nothing. The eraser was activated on lifting the pen from the screen.

Please make sure you are on the latest drivers. This involves completely uninstalling your current drivers before downloading and installing the latest.

Thanks

Chris

I had the same issues with my Huion Inspiroy H950P Tablet. Their support team told me, that it´s a known issue and apparently Huion has compatibility problems with the Affinity programs which haven't been solved, yet.

Along with the eraser-bug it produced a couple of other problems which usually showed up about 5 to 10 minutes into using the pen. Restarting the computer and re-installing the driver would temporarily work, but I must say, I lost patience and returned it to the store. Too bad! 

It does the same with my KAMVAS GT-191. Tried what methods described in this thread, nothing works. Has anyone managed to solve this issue?

I have an XP-PEN 22e Pro and I've noticed that whenever I move my pen away from the screen, then bring the pen back towards the screen to the point that the screen can detect the pen movement, Affinity Designer switches to the eraser tool. There is no way to fix this issue it seems.