Delineated

SVG Gradient Bug

I have an SVG which contains a gradient with 2 stops (darker blue to lighter blue) that I created with Affinity Designer that I later optimised with SVGO for smaller size for web use.

However, after re-opening the optimised SVG in Affinity Designer, the gradient doesn't show - the entire curve appears as filled with only the first colour stop. However, when clicking on the curve, the fill settings show the correct gradient with both stops. The gradient in the optimised SVG shows up fine in all web browsers and a few other graphics editors.

Attached is the file.

Thanks

mountain.svg

Hi Delineated

There's obviously something in the optimisation we don't like, but it is odd that the gradient is shown in the fill dialog but not on the object so I shall get this passed over to the development team

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

This is a problem with the default values, for example, if you explicitly specify gradientUnits="objectBoundingBox" everything works correctly, but if this attribute is not specified, then the coordinates of the gradient points are set incorrectly.

<svg version="1.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" width="512" height="512" viewBox="0 0 512 512">

<defs>

<linearGradient id="GOOD" x1="0" y1="0" x2="1" y2="1" gradientUnits="objectBoundingBox">
		<stop offset="0" style="stop-color:#000"/>
		<stop offset="1" style="stop-color:#FFF"/>
	</linearGradient>

<linearGradient id="BAD" x1="0" y1="0" x2="1" y2="1">
		<stop offset="0" style="stop-color:#000"/>
		<stop offset="1" style="stop-color:#FFF"/>
	</linearGradient>

</defs>

<rect fill="url(#GOOD)" x="10" y="10" width="100" height="100"/>
<rect fill="url(#BAD)" x="120" y="10" width="100" height="100"/>

</svg>

If attribute ‘gradientUnits’ is not specified, then the effect is as if a value of 'objectBoundingBox' were specified.

The exact same problem with attributes x1, y1, x2 and y2 if they are not specified.