You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I just downloaded Affinity a few days ago. I am going through the first tutorial and it seems that one of my toolbars is missing. I think the video calls it the "context toolbar". This is checked to be active under my "View" dropdown. This bar has "Black and White, Inpainting , Vignette, Cropping." Has this been changed since the video was made? If so, where do I find the Inpainting brush???

Which Affinity app (Photo or Designer, trial or retail, Mac or Windows) did you download & which tutorial did you watch?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The Context toolbar won't be missing from a fresh install of any version of any Affinity app, but because its contents depends on the current tool you will only see the inpainting options when you have selected the Inpainting Brush Tool. That tool is only available in Affinity Photo (trial or retail, Mac or Windows); to find it on the desktop versions of the app, go to the tools on the left-hand side and click on the triangle next to the Healing Brush Tool to expand the flyout for that group of tools.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi TobyJuan1,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The "toolbar/tools" you are seeing in the video are actually document tabs, that is, document's that we created and gave the name of specific tools to help us demonstrate their functionality during the video. James (who recorded the video) is simply changing from one document tab to another while he explains the different features of the program, so these are not actually tools. If you open/create more than one document and save them with whatever name you want, they will appear in the same place right below the "real" context toolbar.