You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all

I'm a designer, type hound and creative artwork type currently (stuck) with Creative Cloud InDesign !

Apologies if I've missed a post here, but does anyone know when the Affinity Publisher is going to be available as a trial / release ? I'm keen to get my type-teeth into it...

Regards

Terry

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-10-20 at 10:24 PM, Canuck said:

*sigh* I miss the days when I used Quark Xpress and Aldus PageMaker. Good times. Not as much as I miss the good ol' CompuGraphic and Berthold systems. Ah, memories... 

true too... they were the big two back then... but at the time I opted for a easier to use app called Ready, Set, Go! It was at one time considered one of the big three in DTP programs... except, of course, by the QX and APM folks . It was however very full featured and included most if not all of the feature set of the other two. It eventually made it's way back to the UK but sadly drifted off to sleep when "experts" claimed progs like MS Word were equal to the task... even sadder the sheep followed and some very good programs expired along the way.

I'm eagerly awaiting Affinity's Publisher and know it will be of the same high quality as Photo and Designer. Being able to seamlessly work within the Affinity environment... with, hopefully, some sort of file management system built into all three apps. IMO it doesn't have to be a full fledged DAM... I've been looking at Exposure X3's (Alien Skin) new file browsing feature in comparison to ON1's and EX3's is much faster and easier to navigate. Fingers are crossed that type of pseudo-DAM is on the way for Affinity in 2018!

Imagine: Edit your photos in APhoto, design your logos, ads and such in ADesigner and put it all together in APublisher... all through the wizardry of the AffinityFile system... priceless!

LetraSet was the original developer of Ready, Set, Go! from what I remember. The next incarnation was called Design Studio but when LetraSet went belly-up so too did Design Studio... eventually, like the Phoenix, the app re-emerged (out of England, I believe) as Ready, Set, Go! again. There was something missing, however, in the resurrection and we had moved on to different curriculum (web design, video) and DTP took a back seat. In all cases RSG! and DS were a full fledged DTP apps... They had a shorter learning curve with a more Mac-like interface imo than the others DTP apps of the day... less expensive too as I recall. I used RSG! and then DS in a DTP class I taught. On the personal, small business side I also used it to produce, start to finish, a Sports Annual for three years (208/216 page annuals), among other things. As a solo shop I didn't have to be concerned about exporting my files to different platforms. On the importing side, everything just seemed to work... as I expected it would. 

I'm really hoping Affinity Publisher is as powerful and easy to use as these were decades go... but as I said earlier... I'd love it to be fully integrated with Photo and Designer through the new Affinity Asset Manager (AAM). I don't require or want a cataloguing beast like LR. Something like what Alien Skin offers in terms of asset management (fast browser, search, keywording, rating etc), all within the AAM would be... priceless. Being able to edit a photo or illustration that has already been designed or edited in Affinity Photo or Designer while within Publisher, without leaving Publisher would be even better!

Letraset produced transfers, mainly of letters, to create posters or quality text. I recall many happy hours pressing their letters onto a page to create posters or other documents. This was, of course well before the days of wrd processors, never mind personal computers.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630