You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta - 1.6.0.86

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: Stability
Requirements: A valid product key, issued when Windows Affinity Designer version 1.5 was purchased.

This is a beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• Fixed artboard position to be correct when using pixel preview 
  • Fixed Swatches 'Set as default for' not working properly
  • Fixed Quick Mask 'Show as Transparent' not showing the mask
  • Fixed Slices Panel not updating when ticking/unticking slices
  • Fixed anchor point box moves when clicking Flip Vertical 
  • Added SVG import of CDATA text
  • Fixed Text nodes clipping against its curves when output to PDF if it has a live filter applied to it
  • Fixed raster brush nozzle being barely visible in preview from a tablet device 
  • Fixed live filters not printing flattened when applied to vector objects
  • Fixed Refine Selection undo then brushing results in lag
  • Fixed Refine Selection undo doesn't work when used for a second time
  • Fixed Selection Refinement preview for when the reference image is an image (not a pixel layer)
  • Fixed Selection Refinement preview to be more like the result of applying
  • Fixed brush dynamic for Direction being inverted 
  • Fixed pixel layers copy/paste pasting to the top-left of the node, rather than any active selection area 
  • Fixed incorrect background colour after closing a document
  • Improved performance of waterfall colour choosers
  • Fixed crash creating 1 x ( > 1024) pixel document 
  • Fixed Hard edges appearing in Depth of Field filter

On 12/10/2017 at 1:42 PM, dpcdpc11 said:

Bug or feature?

Duplicating an artboard doesn't create a new slice for it automatically like it does in the 1.5 version. So you have to manually go to the Export Persona > Layers > select the duplicated artboard and click Create Slice.

On 12/10/2017 at 2:11 PM, Sean P said:

This is already in and with Development :)

Not implemented yet in 1.6.0.86.

Check out my awesome Affinity Creations!

• Staff
42 minutes ago, dpcdpc11 said:

Not implemented yet in 1.6.0.86.

We didn't claim it was fixed in the list, so there is no point in this post. "With Development" means in the database and on their radar. It does not mean fixed or even necessarily being addressed. There are hundreds of issues "with development" and they are prioritised and fixed as the developers see fit. This being a regression it has been given a high priority. 

[our ref: AFD-2582]

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
On 20/10/2017 at 5:08 PM, rubs said:

Thanks for the frequent updates! Version 1.6 is getting more robust, that's nice. However I see that a fix for the Save / Open dialogs locations bug wasn't implemented yet. Still looking forward to it...

sorry rubs, I closed this thread as I was under the impression that this fix was in 1.6.0.80 and above. Is that what you meant? Have we badly tested/resolved this issue? [our ref: AW-1103]

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

sorry rubs, I closed this thread as I was under the impression that this fix was in 1.6.0.80 and above. Is that what you meant? Have we badly tested/resolved this issue? [our ref: AW-1103]

Yes, that's it. This is a very important omission (unique to Affinity AFAIK) which is easy to solve but never addressed. The Serif staff answered "We're currently working on this - expect a fix in the next (or next again) beta" when 1.6.0.84 was released, that's why I'm asking about it.

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:
  • Fixed Slices Panel not updating when ticking/unticking slices

Thank you for this fix.

As for the dragon. To me it looks like it's drooling to play with the new beta ;)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

re: Beta - 1.6.0.86 

problem: installation fails - results in a total green screen system crash.

system:  windows10-insider build.

note - have successfully installed several previous betas with no issues.

2 hours ago, MadMak said:

Any news about this bug: https://youtu.be/nx-lMhZSD2E

If you hold Space and drag slowly everything if fine, but if you hold Space and drag fast you get unwanted clicks registered. This is so annoying, that it stops me from using Affinity for any work I do.

I've tried to reproduce this behaviour on my computer... with no results. Even if I try to click the mouse a short moment before pressing the space bar - everything works as expeted. Maybe a specific problem with your machine?

6 minutes ago, VolkerMB said:

I've tried to reproduce this behaviour on my computer... with no results. Even if I try to click the mouse a short moment before pressing the space bar - everything works as expeted. Maybe a specific problem with your machine?

There was a thread somewhere about this issue, so I am not the only one who has it. Also, I don't have anything like that in other software (Photoshop for example).

3 hours ago, MadMak said:

If you hold Space and drag slowly everything if fine, but if you hold Space and drag fast you get unwanted clicks registered. This is so annoying, that it stops me from using Affinity for any work I do.

I just tried it and I don't get the dotting effect. I tried with both with the vector brush and the pixel brush

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

1 minute ago, Rick G said:

I just tried it and I don't get the dotting effect. I tried with both with the vector brush and the pixel brush

Sure, I believe the majority don't get this and this is machine/os specific. But, look at this thread: 

I was hoping for a fix in the upcoming 1.6 update, so I tried the beta. And it's still not fixed. If someone needs any additional information, like logs or system specs, I will provide them.

3 minutes ago, MadMak said:

Sure, I believe the majority don't get this and this is machine/os specific. But, look at this thread: 

I was hoping for a fix in the upcoming 1.6 update, so I tried the beta. And it's still not fixed. If someone needs any additional information, like logs or system specs, I will provide them.

I see what you mean. Do you have anything in common with the specs listed in the quoted link? Wacom tablet etc.?

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

1 minute ago, Rick G said:

I see what you mean. Do you have anything in common with the specs listed in the quoted link? Wacom tablet etc.?

Windows 10

Wacom Intuos Draw with 6.3.21-10 driver, but this thing happens both if I use a mouse or a pen

On 21/10/2017 at 4:38 PM, MadMak said:

Same problem... :)

Windows 10 21H2 -  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz - 16,0 Go - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

6 minutes ago, kabiani said:

I think, please include trace tool, contour and knife tool it would be better...

This thread is for discussions relating to the installation and use of the latest beta build. Suggestions should be posted in the appropriate forum (but a Knife Tool is already on the 1.x roadmap).

On 20/10/2017 at 2:58 PM, Mark Ingram said:

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 20/10/2017 at 2:39 PM, Patrick Connor said:

On 20/10/2017 at 2:43 PM, rubs said:

Yes, that's it. This is a very important omission (unique to Affinity AFAIK) which is easy to solve but never addressed. The Serif staff answered "We're currently working on this - expect a fix in the next (or next again) beta" when 1.6.0.84 was released, that's why I'm asking about it.

So... any news on this fix?

• Staff
3 hours ago, rubs said:

So... any news on this fix?

It was only partially fixed, we have reopen it. However,  can you please tell me your exact expectations of "open" "save"  and "save as" across multiple documents and across application session runs. The original post you linked to just says it doesn't meet your expectations without saying what they are. We could fix this in a way we are happy with and you could still come back and say it's not right. I suggest that you start a new beta thread and explain what you are expecting.  

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

I encountered a few problems with PSD export in the latest beta (also present in the latest stable version), like some sort of color bleeding at transparent edges and also a noticable color shift (maybe color profiles not being respected?). Fortunately the PDF export worked fine. Will these glitches be fixed in 1.6?

thanks,

Sven

22 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

It was only partially fixed, we have reopen it. However,  can you please tell me your exact expectations of "open" "save"  and "save as" across multiple documents and across application session runs. The original post you linked to just says it doesn't meet your expectations without saying what they are. We could fix this in a way we are happy with and you could still come back and say it's not right. I suggest that you start a new beta thread and explain what you are expecting.  

Great, I'll do that in a few days (I'm quite busy this week, sorry). Thanks for the suggestion!