You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm a brand new potential user who's currently trialling Affinity Photo. I like a lot of what I see, but have two key features I am looking for. I've done some online research, but cannot find clear answers.

1. Is there any way to have a layer mask displayed as an overlay (e.g. semi-transparent red). I know I can use the quick mask feature, but would love to be able to just paint directly onto a blank layer mask and then check for missed patches using a red overlay. Can this be done?
  2. I have seen some references to brush size and hardness being adjustable using CTRL+ALT and then dragging the mouse, but I can't replicate this with either left click (goes to colour picker) or right click (does nothing). I know I can adjust the brush size with [ and ], but really like the size and hardness adjustment to be in the same motion. Is this possible?

I'm really hoping to move from Photoshop to Affinity Photo, but would need to find a good workaround for the above to not have it significantly affect my efficiency.

There are a couple of ways of displaying the mask but not red. Try Alt + clicking on the mask.

You didn't say Mac or PC. These thing work differently !

On a PC press Alt, then the right mouse button, then press the left button and drag. 

once you start to drag, you can release the right button and Alt key, just keep the left button down. Release to set.

p.s. you can also change the size by hovering the mouse pointer over the value in the size or hardness entry box and turning the mouse wheel.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.