You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am ready to pull the plug on LR

Adobe just presented you with a golden opportunity to grab a bunch of unhappy LR customers.  In my case, the absence of a Digital Asset Manager has kept me from putting the extra effort into getting comfortable with Affinity (I use the Photo Persona  from time to time and I am impressed, but I have never used the Develop Persona), I am just waiting for a DAM to finalize the divorce.

Paraphrasing the words of Rhett Butler, "When are you guys going to give a DAM?"

While in the past Affinity has said they are working on DAM on their website (since removed but still available on caches) as well as on Twitter, even as recently as June)... as of the past couple of weeks they have now said they are not developing a DAM. So no idea how far they got in development, but as October, it's no longer in development. If they do resume I assume it will be quite some time, since if it were just delayed a little they would simply keep saying its being developed but no ETA. To say its not being currently developed would lead one to believe it will be a much longer wait sadly.

Not a fan of lightroom either since they don't embrace all the mac technology like Affinity and Pixelmator do, but at the moment look at Apple Photos, Phase1, etc there really aren't any other better options that offer an entire streamlined workflow. :-/

14 hours ago, Big_Stan said:

Chris,

Thank you. 

I do not know if have read all of the angst regarding Adobe's new pricing plan for LR, but they have now gone completely to rental only. And, their new pricing could make a "sailor blush".

I've switched to CC a few years back so while I remember all the uproar when they made that switch, personally I"ve always been in favor of subscription models for programs I love and rely on, since while I hate spending money, I know there is a far better chance the product will be sustainable if they have renewable income to keep working on new features and support. I've used a lot of software where it's a one time fee and then don't see updates and major improvements and ends up getting abandoned or sold. 

However is a company is going to charge a subscription model and high priced one, they have to make certain they are best in class and still a good relative value. The problem is Lightroom and Adobe in general never leverages all of Mac's incredible hardware and software features like apps such as Affinity or PIxelmator do. Which can make us angry, since we feel cheated that we have invested into a higher price option but not getting the best. The biggest problem with Lightroom is that it forces you to use their subpar syncing which is quite over priced. They should support iCloud and third party options for professionals such as Amazon S3 or Google Cloud.

In the end I think a subscription model is the way to go, but that Adobe does add enough value and in the end it will be their demise as companies like Sketch, Affinity and others continue to take away marketshare. Still a long ways to go since hard for professionals to all switch, but it happened with Sketch, so will someday.

I see subscriptions as exactly 1 thing - a reason to instantly stop using that software. It is a total no go, renting in general is a total no go as is getting credits.

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

10 hours ago, ChrisChiera said:

... personally I"ve always been in favor of subscription models for programs I love and rely on ...

Except that Adobe's subscription model is based on CC being a service, not a software, model. The difference is significant. Among other things, this means the terms of the service can be changed at any time, including which applications are included with the service, how much of their functionality requires on an internet connection to use, how much user-identifiable data Adobe can collect for whatever purpose the terms of service permit (with or without user consent), & of course what service 'tier' they require users to subscribe to & what they charge for that.

It also means apps included with the service periodically "phone home" to make sure the fees have been paid for the current subscription period, which in turn means if users are unable to connect to the internet for too long a period for whatever reason, the apps won't run until such time that that an internet connection is available.

So it isn't just about continuing costs or sustainability. It is also about privacy, security, & accessibility.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, Canuck said:

So, which is it? Software, or service??

It is a service that includes access to certain software applications that vary depending on the subscription plan, but there is no way to keep using the software without also subscribing to one of the plans. That is what has so many people ready to dump Adobe.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, Canuck said:

Yes, yes, semantics... but what is Adobe's primary function?

To make money.

Affinity Photo 

19 minutes ago, MBd said:

same goes for serif and probably every company 

But not every company requires a "membership" to continue to use its products, particularly when many of its longtime customers have been very vocal about how much they dislike that.

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, MBd said:

But not every company leaves its photo editing suite for over a year without a proper update and does not adress many low hanging fruit workflow improvements and delays software releases like crazy 

We got that you love subscriptions - Please accept that we hate them.

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

5 minutes ago, MBd said:

But not every company leaves its photo editing suite for over a year without a proper update and does not adress many low hanging fruit workflow improvements and delays software releases like crazy 

What specifically do you mean by "low hanging fruit" & how do you know how much work it would take to 'pick' it? Do you have some special "insider" knowledge about Affinity's code you would not mind sharing with the rest of us?

Consider that Affinity is doing something that almost no other company has ever tried to do, that being a single "native" file format that any app in the suite can open without conversion or loss. Think that might possibly move the 'fruit' just a wee bit further up the tree? What about serialization or maintaining high memory efficiency or other "under the hood" things we might not know anything about that contribute to a user experience that many have commented make the Affinity apps fun to use?

Affinity Photo 

7 minutes ago, MBd said:

I'm currently writing a small OS for an embedded system so yes I know about serialisation and memory usage and performance under the hood.

But do you know anything specific about Affinity's code or how it is optimized for the three very large & complex operating systems the Affinity apps support? If not, how could you possibly do anything besides guess about how much work it would take to 'puck' whatever you consider to be the "low hanging fruit" Affinity has yet to do?

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

No more rudeness or passive aggression in this thread will be tolerated. 

Step back and express opinions without ad hominem attacks, or your posting rights will be suspended 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

No more rudeness or passive aggression in this thread will be tolerated. 

Step back and express opinions without these ad hominem attacks, or your posting rights will be suspended 

is there a way to delete an account an it's content together?

if so, and only if

please delete all information/ posts associated with this account and then delete the the account itself 

if not, please do not as I wish to keep control over the things I write on the internet.

thanks 

• Staff
4 minutes ago, MBd said:

is there a way to delete an account an it's content together?

if so, and only if

please delete all information/ posts associated with this account and then delete the the account itself 

if not, please do not as I wish to keep control over the things I write on the internet.

thanks 

No, you can close and annonymise the account but not request a removal of the posts. 

You are in control of your own posts already, I am just reminding everyone to keep to the forum posting rules. That way things stay civil 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 minute ago, Patrick Connor said:

No, you can close and annonymise the account but not request a removal of the posts. 

You are in control of your own posts already, I am just reminding everyone to keep to the forum posting rules. That way things stay civil 

so please consult the team during office hours if it is indeed impossible to "automatically" remove contend as this is actually tedious for me to do for 3000 posts.

facebook/ google has an option to do this so I'd appreciate if there was an option for you to do the same 

I'm actually seriously done with this forum and the company