You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AP 1.6 beta 6] loading 4 and more files at the same time causes program to get stuck

Loading more than 3 files simultaneously cause the program to stop responding.

I first noticed this when I tried opening 12 PGN files (1920x1080x24bit), each around 300kB by dragging them on the AP window. The message "Loading 12 documents" would stay on the title bar forever.

Checking the activity monitor, the CPU cores are working intensively (350% CPU usage by AP) but 10minutes later nothing has opened yet. Eventually one has to force quit the program.

Opening the files individually (one at a time) works fine;  the same files open in milliseconds. 

Since then I've discovered that I can reproduce this problem with all PNG, and JPG files I've come across and the problem is present even through the File->Open command.

The strangest thing is that as long as I select up to three files, there is no problem. Doesn't matter which files! The moment I add one more file to this selection, it doesn't work.

There are some rare instances that I will be allowed to open more than 3 files at a time, but this is not something I can reproduce consistently.

I got the impression that 4+ files might open if the splash/welcome screen of AP is still displayed(!), or if there are other documents open already in AP, but it doesn't seem to always work - this may be just coincidence.

I never had such a problem in any other version of the beta (not sure about beta 5 though since I never really tested it).

It seems to be similar to this issue by user @MikeFromMesa even though he was using an older version. I've included 4 PNG files that cause the program to lock on my computer (2011 21.5" iMac - macOS Sierra).

I hope this helps!

-Fotis

Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 03.06.42.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 15.06.43.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 14.21.47.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 04.31.13.png

Edited by F_Kal
I mistakenly mentioned AP 1.6.6 beta 11 where I meant 1.6.6 beta 6

• 2 weeks later...

Can you check in 1.6.6. (Beta 8)?

I just imported 25 jpeg photos by dragging them together onto the AP icon, each about 10MB. It takes a moment to open them, but works as expected for me (MacbookPro, macOS Sierra 10.12.6).

The photos have not been worked on before, I only copied them from the memory card of my camera to the Macbook.

[I didn't have problems with this in 1.6.6 (Beta 6), either; I know because I tested it.]

• Staff

I can reproduce this easily enough. I just opened 9x PNG's, closed them one by one and attempted to open them again and the app got stuck. Definitely something not right and I don't recall this happening in 1.5 (I'll go and try it now). 

1.5 allowed me to open 10 JPG's on a different Mac 3 times in a row. I moved to 1.6 and Opened them the first time, the 2nd time I tried to open them, only one opened and I got stuck. I'll log this with dev.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.