thommy_g

Bahnschrift shows only regular typefaces

Hi,

since the Windows 10 autumn update, there is a new font installed, which I was really lopnging for, as it is a free replacement for our corporate font: Bahnschrift (based on DIN). Unfortunately, in Affinity Designer, I can only set it to "Regular". When I click the Selection, it shows me 5 different font faces, all named "Regular", and no matter which I select, I only get regular. Can you help me with this? I have AD-Version 1.5.3.69.

Greetzzz.

Thomas

Unbenannt.png

I don't yet have the fall update and so don have the font. But MS will likely issue an update. It needs to be edited in a font editor to be corrected. That is if it is broken and it isn't AD's fault (which I doubt).

Mike

OK. I guess I should have looked on the web about this font before the posting above.

That font is using a newish technology, variable axes to be specific. What is maybe being seen with the 5 "regular" variants are the interpolation axes. As AD doesn't yet support variable axes fonts, this is something they will need to fix in the sense of how they are listed. Or, "just" build Affinity product support...

Just to add a little to this discussion...

(Windows 10 Home 64-bit version 1803 build 17134.165 - last update 12/07/18.)

In Font Preview - in Settings - I can see that the font has 15 variants (from Light to Bold SemiCondensed) and they all look fine visually.

NexusFont only shows one variant which previews as Light.

In Designer, selecting Bahnschrift lets me see 15 variants but they are all called Regular but the text looks like Light when selected.

Going into C:\Windows\Fonts takes me to the Control Panel where I see that Bahnschrift is there but when I ask for a preview (right-click -> Preview) it opens fifteen windows, each showing Bahnschrift Light.

So it seems that not even WIndows can use one of its own fonts properly.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

...So it seems that not even WIndows can use one of its own fonts properly.

Windows 10 provides support for color (chromatic) fonts too...but cannot display them as chromatic in the font panel.

Maybe this is a work in progress for two technologies originally intended for web work.

I think I just need to try and remember not to use this font.
Shame there's no way of telling Designer to totally ignore a font, but not a major issue either way.