You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Manual or Tutorial

• Staff

Hi Cruizer1,

We're currently developing the help for Affinity Photo as I write. You should able to find what you need via the Help menu using the Search box, but the forums can obviously provide assistance if you can't find what you're looking for. Let me know what you think of the Help so far.

I'm confident that the content there should get Beta testers up and running.

We're updating topics as we go to track functionality changes and beta feedback like your own. Content will be fluid as we're hoping for an excellent learning resource on release.

Thanks

Andy Capstick 

• 5 months later...

Hi

I've been using Serif products for many years and they always come with a manual and resource guide. I prefer to read and use my computer at the same time as I find this is better than using the help on screen as I can see what topic I want rather having to find the jargon for it and then the topic. (I am dyslexic and over 65)

I currently find this program very hard to follow and a split screen does not help.

Unlike many others I have not used photoshop so I am not familiar with any type of program like this.

Finally I have the purchased copy not the trial copy and it keeps crashing. Anyone else having this problem?

Chris

• Staff

Hi Newstone,

Ref, the Help to PDF.

The help is a collection of HTML5 files -  you could take the HTML files to another program, reformat and then create a PDF output from that.

If you're interested in more info, I can supply details. Just reply to the thread.

Regards

\Andy 

• Staff

You can use Calibre to create a PDF version of the help, but it will require you to experiment with the settings to get the best results. I've had good results converting the help to an EPUB file and using iBooks to read it. Try this:

• Go to Applications
  • Right click Affinity Photo and click Show Package Contents
  • Go to Contents > Resources and right click AffinityPhoto.help and click Show Package Contents
  • Go to Contents > Resources and copy de.lproj & shared to your desktop
  • Open Calibre and drag index.html from the de.lproj folder into Calibre - this will add Affinity Photo Help: Get Started to the list of books
  • Right click Affinity Photo Help: Get Started and select Convert Books > Convert Individually
  • Make sure PDF is selected from the Output format drop down
  • Make any changes needs in the other sections and click OK

Cool, it worked. Not that I need to, I like the help menu but i'd thought i'd give it a go. Used an ePub for iBooks instead.

post-9020-0-03152100-1437472662_thumb.png

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Finally I have the purchased copy not the trial copy and it keeps crashing. Anyone else having this problem?

What, exactly, are you doing that is making it crash? Loading a raw image? Loading a non-raw image? Editing a loaded image? If so, what edit tools? Exporting an image? Calling a plugin?

Perhaps we can help if we know what you are doing, what might be happening right before the crash and so on.

You can use Calibre to create a PDF version of the help, but it will require you to experiment with the settings to get the best results. I've had good results converting the help to an EPUB file and using iBooks to read it. Try this:

• Go to Applications
  • Right click Affinity Photo and click Show Package Contents
  • Go to Contents > Resources and right click AffinityPhoto.help and click Show Package Contents
  • Go to Contents > Resources and copy de.lproj & shared to your desktop
  • Open Calibre and drag index.html from the de.lproj folder into Calibre - this will add Affinity Photo Help: Get Started to the list of books
  • Right click Affinity Photo Help: Get Started and select Convert Books > Convert Individually
  • Make sure PDF is selected from the Output format drop down
  • Make any changes needs in the other sections and click OK

Thank you Leigh, this is what I needed. Very helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

Just imagine if Affinity/Serif were to make the help files, in iBook format, available via the App Store. Updates which altered the help files could then also be downloaded. It could even contain the official Affinity tutorials. I am not using a second display but I would love to have the ability to view the help files and tutorials on my iPad whenever needed instead of switching its window in front of or behind what I am working on. Of course there is this wonderful suggested PDF work-around, but not everyone can or would do that.

• 1 month later...

This is great!  I was able to download the English version of the book into PDF following these instructions but using the English index file versus the one mentioned here.  I think having a PDF viewable on my iPad or other separate device while working within Affinity on my Macbook will be very helpful!  Thank you for these instructions!!!

Alternatively ...

you can just open the index file in a web-browser and save the first page as a bookmark, there by making it an instantly accessible offline web site.

Closing tab bar and favourites bar etc. makes it pretty much an identical view to the Help viewer ... except it doesn't annoyingly float above all other windows.

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

A bit surprised at some of these comments, especially the ones that seem to me to be implying that Photoshop is intuitive ... really folks?!

In addition to the Help feature, there are some really good videos that new users and more experienced people coming from another editor can access on the Affinity Vimeo channel (and they are constantly being updated).

Having said all that, there are clearly some customers who would prefer a manual - a small business opportunity for someone to write an ebook ...

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

• 2 weeks later...

It does seem like it would be simpler for Affinity to make the PDF themselves and have it available for download, rather than have people go delving into the package contents and trying to figure out what to do.

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.