You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't edit Text once created?

Hi all, i'm very new to affinity and photo editing in general.

I have a picture in which I've added a layer of text.  It seems that I once it's created, I can't edit the text however. clicking on it with the pointer tool selects it, or the background behind it, but won't let me edit. clicking on it with the text tool just starts a new text layer on top of the old one.  

I must be doing something wrong on a basic level.  Any ideas?  I've attached my project if anyone cares to open it up and have a look.  I'm on a mac, sierra OS.  affinity v 1.5.2

Thanks!! 
Geoff

Punch_v2.afphoto

That's strange, although I'm not sure what rasterize means to be honest!  When i open the file i attached, I see two layers, the pixel layer with the text and the background.  

I entered it using the artistic text tool, and when I click on that tool, it still shows a frame around the text, which i can rotate, move, etc.  It just doesn't seem to let me edit the text at all when i click on the text.  instead it adds a new text layer :-/

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Yes, that button rasterises the text.

I had never thought about it before, but apparently all the "Enhancement" buttons are in effect filters, so any of them will do this, right?

It seems the Assistant is what does this, so changing the setting as below prevents this, as I assume disabling the Assistant completely would do as well.

59e7823555e93_applyfilters.png.d02540f63b037b1efbcb16ac5086907b.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
56 minutes ago, brady n melser said:

I have no idea how I changed a block of text to raster though.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Which application?

And, is is really raster (pixel)? Or is it simply no longer editable as text. If you were in Designer, or the Designer Persona or Photo Persona of Publisher, using Ctrl+Enter would convert text to curves, for example.

If it's really rasterized in the application (not in an export), and it's not that, then I'm not sure either. If you haven't saved the document yet (or if you saved it with history), the History panel may give some clues.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, brady n melser said:

Also, with the new update, is anyone's circle selection like way off?

@brady n melser

Ha ha, circular marquee selection was changed in 1.9 to be drawn from the centre rather than top left.

It takes a bit of getting used to after having to learn to do it the wrong Affinity way for several years.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, 
Nice to meet you online.
I am very new to Affinity but I have used InDesign every day for 6 years.

I have just installed Affinity and I was watching some tutorials about text: I can create text frames but I can't edit the text or select 1/2 words. I can only select all the text. 
Maybe, I did something wrong? Could you please help me? I have to learn quickly this software in order to help a company for work.
Thanks!!

Dania

Welcome to the Forums @Dania😊  Are you by any chance trying to select text with the Move tool (the black arrow point).  You should be able to select one word or several by using the Frame text tool and dragging it across your chosen word(s).  They will then be highlighted in blue.  At that point you can change the font, the font size, etc. or anything else you might wish to do.   This should be the same in Photo, Designer, or Publisher.  The only difference is that in Publisher you will have a text ruler on the top of your text frame if you have checked it under VIEW>Show Text Ruler.  (I am on my iPad right now, so I think that is the terminology.).  Hope this will help you get started.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

1 hour ago, Dania said:

I have just installed Affinity and I was watching some tutorials about text: I can create text frames but I can't edit the text or select 1/2 words. I can only select all the text. 

Hi @Dania,

it looks as if you inserted a placeholder text as a field (non editable text). You need to select it all, right-mouse-click it and choose expand field.

Edit: You can change this behaviour by going to Preferences->General and select Insert Filler Text as Text.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Hi everyone!

Thank you very much for your kind and fast reply! 
Yes, I have inserted a placeholder text and I didn't understand why I couldn't select words because I am used to InDesign 😅 But it's interesting this behaviour of placeholder text! 
Thank you to all of you for your great explanations! I am so curios to discover Affinity! 😀

Hi again!

Tonight I have tried another test: I would like to arrange pages for a folder of 12 pages.
I have tried to set 12 spread pages in Spread Properties but I haven't found the right way... It would be something like the image attached.

Could you please help me?
Thanks!! Have a nice day!

Dania

Schermata 2021-03-10 alle 08.06.11.png

44 minutes ago, Dania said:

Tonight I have tried another test: I would like to arrange pages for a folder of 12 pages.
I have tried to set 12 spread pages in Spread Properties but I haven't found the right way...

This thread is about situations where it is impossible to edit text. It really would be better to create a separate topic for your unrelated question.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...

I am unable to select text previously inserted by me with the frame text tool. I have tried the frame text tool, the artistic text tool and the move tool.

I am on a Mac Big Sur Version 11.2.3, using Affinity Publisher 1.9.1 (most recent update). Also want to know why some margin frames have x as opposed to roundels? The master facing pages both have margin guides with roundels. 

• 7 months later...

Hello,

Like a previous users' question / issue, I too am VERY new to affinity.

I'm in affinity photo and have pasted an illustration as well as text. I can't edit anything on the page.......and am really stuck as to what to do. I can move the entire page but an unable to edit. 

I am using version 1.10.1. on macOS Catalina.

If I am on the wrong forum - as I'm a total beginner, then apologies and can anyone point me to a site for totally new users? Thanks

Hello @SSM and welcome to the forums.

You have to select the text layer first, then you can click in the text box.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Get your Layers panel showing by going to View > Studio > Layers . Layers needs to have the checkmark.

can you see a text layer like this one. It has an A on it and the words is what is typed into the text frame.

1760681942_ScreenShot2021-10-21at9_18_55AM.png.036712eeb910ad672f5f2af9812de87b.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.