You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to save colors off a photo? Save as vector file?

How’s it going my wonderful community,

question, I want to save the color off a photo. I have no idea what color it is. It’s a certain kind of blue.

How do I get Affinity Photo to:

1) Recognize the color and show me its details (details as in what colors and what exact numerical values create it)

2) How do I save that color and give it profile or some kind of name, so I may save it, and come back to it in the future - is this even possible? Hope I’m not getting too far ahead in feature possibilities.

3) Lastly, how do I save a file as a vector based file?  Or upload it as a vector based file?  (I know how to upload it) just can’t seem to find where to upload it as a vector. 

Thank you.

I’ve attached the photo of the color I’m trying to save and find out its numerical creation values. It’s the cartoon font that says “Step 1” I would like to know what kind of blue is that. 

6315C548-DB3E-4168-AC37-A0C85CB0E04C.jpeg

Specs:

• iPad Pro 12.9 (2020 Model

— —- - - — - - - ——- - - —- - - - —- - - - - 

My Affinity Photo iPad Creations:

Urban Ninja vs. Drone || Folded Space || 1st Revolt

• Staff

Hi Affinity iPad Student,

You'll need to use the Colour Picker tool and enable Auto-Apply (an option when you've got the colour picker tool selected) Once you've picked the colour if you then open the Colour Studio you'll see the Fill colour is now your picked colour.  Tap that and you'll see the RGB values for it.  To save this, tap Swatches on the Colour Studio, then the 3 bars icon next to the Pin and you've got the option to Add to Current Fill To Palette.  Next time you need that fill, if you go to swatches, you should find it's the 1st colour showing.

To save it as a vector file, you'd do this from the Export Window and select one of the Vector file types and then just export/share as you normally would.  Please keep in mind, not all features are supported by vector files, so you may find some items get rasterized when you export them.

31 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Hi Affinity iPad Student,

3 bars icon next to the Pin and you've got the option to Add to Current Fill To Palette.  Next time you need that fill, if you go to swatches, you should find it's the 1st colour showing.

Only options I have is “add to application pallete and add to document palette” no mention of:

“add to current fill to palette”

I chose both options “individually” and for each one, I closed out of that project, went into a different project in a entirely different folder - unfortunately, none of those options work. It only saves it in the current project your in, doesn’t follow you everywhere in the app, and that‘s what I want. 

Any suggestions?

Specs:

• Staff

What is the current swatch shown as?  Is it showing as Recent Colours? If you tap Add Application Pallet, this will create a blank pallet, if you then tap the 3 bars again, you'll get the other option to Add Current Fill to that Pallet. 

For me, everything is working correctly.  Once i've added the colour to the Pallet, it follows me when i start a new project or open one from a different project folder on the Home Screen of Affinity.

1 hour ago, stokerg said:

Heres a screen recording of the process from my iPad

ScreenRecording_10-18-2017_11:18.mov

Thank you. I’ll look through this and respond to your question above later. Currently on a deadline closing out some work. 

Which exactly is the vector based file selection for upload? I see pdf, svg, tiff, hdr, eps...I don’t see .AI for vector, to my understanding that is vector file executable correct? Or am I missing something?

Specs:

3 hours ago, stokerg said:

SVG and EPS are both vector formats.  We can't export to AI due to it being a private/proprietary format. 

If you export to PDF and rename the file from *.pdf to *.ai it should behave like an AI file which includes a PDF stream (but that it won't contain any AI-specific data, of course).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

23 hours ago, stokerg said:

What is the current swatch shown as?  Is it showing as Recent Colours? If you tap Add Application Pallet, this will create a blank pallet, if you then tap the 3 bars again, you'll get the other option to Add Current Fill to that Pallet. 

For me, everything is working correctly.  Once i've added the colour to the Pallet, it follows me when i start a new project or open one from a different project folder on the Home Screen of Affinity.

UPDATE: @stokerg Still not appearing in my other folders unfortunately, so it doesn’t follow me around, it only saves in the palette of the project I am within :(

ORIGINAL POST

@stokerg that did it, I wasn’t aware of that extra step. Thank you. This will save so much time in the future. 

Thank you guys regarding Vector. 

Specs: