You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I thought it would be fun to take on the appearance of a ghost in a rustic old home long ago abandoned by using the cutting out method. And I want to thank MEB, Alfred and toltec for their generous help with learning the method. I realize improvements can and should be made to lighten the figure of the ghost of a man even more but this is more about accomplishing what I needed to learn than being paid to produce a fantastic photo. Happy Halloween and of course I'd truly enjoy any critique offered, or just enjoy my first try.

AF_House with Many Stories Underexposed.jpg

Light, Subject, Focus, DOF, Background, Edit, Learn

59ef645ca6e4e_IMG_7558LightBeneathFAAcopy300x100.jpg.d53988f0690ebe508047421cdc137023.jpg

If I was going to attempt such an image I would have probably gone for something more "vague and ephemeral" looming in the darkness rather than something that stands out so much.

You could try knocking the opacity of the ghost way down and putting the figure slightly behind the door frame rather than in front. (You're more likely to snap a ghost when it's not so fully in shot.)

Also, you could change the lighting as ghostly apparitions are very rarely seen in the daylight. I think you could get away with the light source being a full Moon if you darkened everything and lowered the colour range (somehow).

These are all just my personal feelings so feel free to ignore them; I understand that you were learning a method more than anything else.

On 17 October 2017 at 6:34 PM, RCPhotos_FineArtAmerica said:

Happy Halloween......

Yup, roll on Halloween, can't wait to have to clean all the eggs of my car again this year.

ghost2.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

carl123, maybe I'll give that a try. I was only attempting to learn the technique, but appreciate your input and am hoping you cover your vehicle with a tarp or car cover, while your infrared cameras are filming.

Ok so here's a much reduced exposure layers without resizing the ghost figure just experimenting on the overall and the ghost figure's lighting

AF_House with Many Stories Underexposed7.jpg

Light, Subject, Focus, DOF, Background, Edit, Learn

59ef645ca6e4e_IMG_7558LightBeneathFAAcopy300x100.jpg.d53988f0690ebe508047421cdc137023.jpg