You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

ArcGIS for Affinity Designer

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is that:

1. That would have been developed by ESRI, not Adobe (and similarly you’d need to talk to ESRI to convince them to build something to integrate with Affinity). However:
  2. Adobe has support for plugins, scripting, etc, that allow third-party developers to integrate with their products. Affinity doesn’t have this yet, as far as I know, and I’m guessing it’s not high on their list of priorities at this stage of development. I really hope it’ll come sometime in the future.

As someone who has never used ArcGIS (I use QGIS), or the plugin above, I’d be interested to hear what you envisage your workflow looking like with ArcGIS and Affinity. For most of my map work I save PDFs out of QGIS and edit those with Illustrator or Affinity Designer. Presumably that plugin builds a much more powerful bridge between the two programs? I’d love to see something similar between QGIS and Affinity, but I’m not really sure how it would work.

• 2 years later...

I don't know if the Affinity developers are aware about the usage of Illustrator, Affinity Designer and similar softwares to draw maps. It is very handy and the final figure are best than when we draw in GIS softwares. MapPublisher is a plugin that link Illustrator and GIS softwares. I highly recommend that Affinity think about to build something similar. I am sure they will bring many geologists, cartographer, ... to the Affinity users.

• 3 months later...
On 6/4/2020 at 6:32 PM, GeoVictor said:

I don't know if the Affinity developers are aware about the usage of Illustrator, Affinity Designer and similar softwares to draw maps. It is very handy and the final figure are best than when we draw in GIS softwares. MapPublisher is a plugin that link Illustrator and GIS softwares. I highly recommend that Affinity think about to build something similar. I am sure they will bring many geologists, cartographer, ... to the Affinity users.

Agree, being forced to use Illustrator because it has MapPublisher is a real pain and sloooow to produce maps in compared to good old FreeHand. AD having some way of getting Shape files or GML data in would be awesome

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...