You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6 - Beta 12)

• Staff

Purpose: New features, fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Here

This beta version represents a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Fixes/Improvements:

• Tweaked OpenGL to improve experience with artboard documents (still haven't added back the old OpenGL as an option yet, sorry)
  • Fix for not being able to Command+Click into compound objects
  • SVG CDATA import fix
  • Fix for Text clipping incorrectly when used with a Live effect and output to PDF
  • Small light-UI tweaks
  • Fix for copy/paste of pixel areas accidentally appearing at the top-left of the original pixel data
  • Fix for 'Direction' brush dynamic not working as expected
  • Miscellaneous other fixes and tweaks

Looks good. The program is becoming more and more stable.

I don't know if it's an update I probably missed or if it's a minor flaw, but the color picker copies an object's color just by hovering and not clicking. I assumed it was a live preview, but the object is actually changing the color. After I apply a color, I have to press Cmd D so I don't accidentally change the color again when I reach for another tool.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

OMG @MattP!!

Now that's how you fix the brush pressure sensitivity!! Incredible - so much better :D:D:D:D

Thank you!! no more blobs, and smooth transitions from thin to thick to thin - working really nicely!! Thank you again!

(please keep those blobby ends away from the ios version too please - can't wait to try vector brushing in that :D )

Thank you again!!

-damian

11 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

I don't know if it's an update I probably missed or if it's a minor flaw, but the color picker copies an object's color just by hovering and not clicking. I assumed it was a live preview, but the object is actually changing the color. After I apply a color, I have to press Cmd D so I don't accidentally change the color again when I reach for another tool.

I've just found this bug too.

The slices redrawing lag is largely gone, Matt! :)

The only issue I noticed refers to the borders of active slices. At different zoom levels, different sides of a selected slice rectangle will receive a 2px border. The appearance is not consistent, so it looks like not being intended … :/

Slices.png.385927791013b0256f6c61b2f94d1187.png

• Staff
14 hours ago, dorkboycomics said:

OMG @MattP!!

Now that's how you fix the brush pressure sensitivity!! Incredible - so much better :D:D:D:D

Thank you!! no more blobs, and smooth transitions from thin to thick to thin - working really nicely!! Thank you again!

(please keep those blobby ends away from the ios version too please - can't wait to try vector brushing in that :D )

Thank you again!!

-damian

Hurrah! Glad it's working better now! :) The fix should propagate to all versions so iPad will play nicely now too :) 

20 hours ago, abarkalo said:

Matt - the UI (dark mode) in this beta got darker - or is that my imagination?  I like dark but this is really black.  Must be my tired eyes!!

In the preferences, did you check the "UI Gammar" slider? Perhaps it was turned down.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I think I asked this before but it was missed. 

How can we migrate settings/preferences from one version to another (OSX)? I'm fine with editing package contents, hunting down files, whatever it takes :D

Thx!

• Staff
On 10/17/2017 at 4:24 PM, Bri-Toon said:

Hi Bri-Toon,

Just to confirm this is with the Colour Picker Tool (not the one on the Colour Panel)? If so I've reproduced it and will get it reported.

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Hi Bri-Toon,

Just to confirm this is with the Colour Picker Tool (not the one on the Colour Panel)? If so I've reproduced it and will get it reported.

Thank you, and yes, that is correct.

While I'm here, there is a little funky behavior with pasting styles from the Edit menu. Let's say I have an object with no stroke and another with a stroke of 10px. Copying and pasting the style of 10px to the object with no stroke will not give it the stroke. I thought I also caught strange behavior with pasting FX in the past, but I cannot confirm that issue at the moment. Pasting an "Outline" effect works as it should.

• Staff
28 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

Thank you, and yes, that is correct.

While I'm here, there is a little funky behavior with pasting styles from the Edit menu. Let's say I have an object with no stroke and another with a stroke of 10px. Copying and pasting the style of 10px to the object with no stroke will not give it the stroke. I thought I also caught strange behavior with pasting FX in the past, but I cannot confirm that issue at the moment. Pasting an "Outline" effect works as it should.

Reproduced that here! I'll get it passed onto development!

1 hour ago, netsi1964 said:

I have an example SVG file where the clipping does not work.

bee.svg

Hello and welcome to the Affinity forum. The clipping seems to work. To do this, you need to either paste those grouped curves in the circle object with that last button on the main toolbar selected, or drag the grouped curves inside the circle object in the Layers panel.

20171019113234(1).mov

Thank you "Bri-Toon". Your comment is appreciated.

Yes, it can be done - however in the SVG it is defined that a clip-path should be used. The editing you show in the video is fine, but requires you to re-do some previously defined effects.

<clipPath id="_clip1">
            <circle cx="753.167" cy="130.706" r="47.226"/>
        </clipPath>
        <g clip-path="url(#_clip1)">
            <path d="M716.394,89.48C714.213,124.809 717.351,163.709 753.167,178.48L738.491,198.48C701.469,171.025 700.804,123.732 704.491,87.48L716.394,89.48ZM743.844,78.48C741.663,113.809 744.801,152.709 780.617,167.48L765.941,187.48C728.919,160.025 728.254,112.732 731.941,76.48L743.844,78.48ZM766.941,70.84C764.76,106.168 775.125,134.709 810.941,149.48L795.941,167.48C758.919,140.025 747.254,107.091 750.941,70.84L766.941,70.84Z"/>
        </g>

SVG has the "clipPath" tag to define a clipping path, and the attribute "clip-path" which uses the defined path as a clipping path. That relation is lost during import.

I realize that it would be hard to implement :-) But imagine a complex SVG drawing with say 150 clipping paths, perhaps even reused clipping paths - that would take hours to re-do using your method.

Hi there,

Not sure if anyone notice, but into "Alignment" panel, the option "Align to: Last object" and "Align to: first object" will just work if you use the mouse to open the "Alignment" panel and then click over the alignment buttons... if you use a shortcut, try the right click over the selected object or go to "Menu: Layer/Alignment" the option previously set will be ignored.

I made short video to explain what I just said... Is there any work around it? 

Reminous

AF Beta 1.6 beta 12 - align bug.m4v

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.