You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Equirectangular 360 photo straightening, how?

I've been sent images that have been shot "not-straight", so I'd have to fix the horizon of the images, but I cannot figure out a way to do that using Affinity Photo.

Can this be done? I'm not talking "fix the stitching process", I'm talking how to "tilt" a photo using Affinity Photo. I've loved Affinity Photo thus far, and this is literally the _only_ really important thing that's missing from getting Equirectangular editing to be perfect with Affinity Photo. Photoshop, even with plugins, is far far far behind you guys!

• Staff

Hey, worry not, this is coming soon in 1.6! You can actually access it now if you fancy downloading and trying the beta (see the latest thread in the beta forum: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/19-photo-beta-on-mac/)

To access it, apply Equirectangular Projection as usual, then on the top context toolbar, you've got two new options: Straighten and Centre Coordinate System. To use Straighten, pan around to an obvious area where the horizon is tilted, then click-drag the dropdown arrow and drag left or right until you've corrected the tilt. As soon as you let go, the coordinates will be changed. If this is your only edit, just remove the live projection and you're then good to go!

Centre Coordinate System is more of an aesthetic feature, it just allows you to change the centre point, so you can modify how the unmapped image looks before it's projected. Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• 3 years later...

Hi James, 

Is there a possibility in live equirectangular projection to straighten, pitch and head by fractions using some keyborad combination?

I know I can type in fractions for straightening, fx. -0,1 or 0,3 etc. and I also know that I can starighthen by the arrow keys but they only work for round numbers. 
It would be great if it would be possible going by fractions using the arrow keys while holding down CTRL or SHIFT.

Is there way to do so?

Thanks in advance,

Roberto  

Edited by RobertoPhoto