mondze

Broken network connection closes unsaved files.

Affinty Designer when I press Save and the computer has no access at the moment to the storage medium e. g. in my case the network hard disk. So he gives an error message that he cannot save and closes the unsaved file....

The solution would be: instead of closing the file without saving it, it should simply leave it open. This allows the user to specify a location of his own.

System: Windows 10 

Affinity Designer: 1.5.3.69

Hi, we don't fully load all of the data from files, so if the original file goes away, we're unable to fully re-save the file afterwards.

e.g. if you have a 1GB file, for the initial load we might only need to load 50MB of data. If the network connection dies, there is 950MB of lost data, so we're unable to just save the file in a new location.

The best solution is to save the file to a more reliable location, then transfer to network share when necessary.

I have the same problem but it is not the reliability of the location it is the fact that when windows goes into sleep mode the connection to the NAS closes.  Is there no way to 'pause' the shutdown until the connection can be re-established and the save completed?

The issue is due to how we maintain ownership of the document file.  We keep the file handle open, with flags to indicate a lock on the file.  We assume then that no other application can also modify the file while we have it open (we do other checks for cloud storage, etc, making changes).  If the file handle is lost then we currently opt to close the file for reasons of data integrity - we cannot know that what is on disk matches what is in memory without fully verifying the data.

When your PC goes to sleep, it is likely that any file handle are closed by the system.

We currently don't try and reopen a lost file handle.  This is something that we will look into doing soon, but it is not trivial.  The method for verifying data needs to be fast and reliable.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Ben,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.  I will investigate ways to keep the NAS connection up.

Edited by ksk
typo