You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Images, cropping, resolution & PDF file size

I have a few questions regarding images placed in an Affinity Designer file and the eventual resolution/file size:

• Is it best for eventual PDF file size to pre-crop images before placing them in my document? ie. does the PDF file still contain image data that falls beyond the edges of pages or masks?
  • Does the AD crop tool achieve the above the same as pre-cropping would?
  • How do I 'uncrop' an image? There doesn't seem to be an option for removing any crop I've applied to an image (beyond stretching the handles back out and trying to line up with the original image edges).
  • I've noticed placing an image in my document and exporting to 'PDF for Export' without any alterations to the placed image results in a large file size (the original image DPI is maintained). However applying the crop tool (even a tiny amount) suddenly results in the image taking the DPI of the document (and bringing the file size right down). Is this intentional?

Shaun

Affinity Designer only has a Vector Crop Tool. Not only is it non-destructive (so it does not remove any image data), in effect it just applies a vector rectangle mask to the selected layer(s). To 'uncrop' just delete the mask or make it invisible in the Layers panel.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

23 hours ago, R C-R said:

Affinity Designer only has a Vector Crop Tool. Not only is it non-destructive (so it does not remove any image data), in effect it just applies a vector rectangle mask to the selected layer(s). To 'uncrop' just delete the mask or make it invisible in the Layers panel.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I try to select the mask layer in the layers panel, it always selects the image too.

9 minutes ago, Checkmate said:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I try to select the mask layer in the layers panel, it always selects the image too.

You have to click on the mask layer thumbnail.

mask.png.ebec62fb4a4d47bbfb41afedcec06c44.png

It will then have a white outline (or border).  If you click anywhere else, the layer will be blue (highlighted).

It might be easier if you expand the layer first. Here, just the mask (Designer crop tool) is selected.

ex.png.a8eaf66416f481f82d1ee0702ec8603c.png

You can delete the mask layer to "uncrop" the image.

If you Rasterize the image layer, it deletes the bits outside the mask rectangle and turns the layer into a single image. Which is the same as pre-cropping.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

1 hour ago, Checkmate said:

What's the benefit of limiting the selection of the crop layer to just the thumbnail?

That is a very good question! When expanded, double-clicking on the name field puts it into text mode, but I am not sure why single-clicking on any part of the child layer should not select it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7