You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there...

I am still evaluating the trial version of Affinity Photo and so far the software seems to be the perfect solution for photographers...

Im considering to buy it, however i have some questions ...

Anyone can answer these???

1 - i noticed that Affinity isnt able to record in macros all kind of operations made on the working space. This is a crucial feature, I would like to know whether it is on roadmap of developers to fix this very soon?

2 - i noticed the layers blending modes are prety much the same as in photoshop... will there be added more blending modes?

3 - i noticed that the recorded macros once exported can not be edited in text editor... is this a final feature? will this be ever changed?

4 - Can one edit (or design own) brushes?

5 - will there be ever a kind of file menager/browser tab in Affinity? Like one we know from LightRoom, Corel Aftershot or other image editors?

6 - I would like to know what is the licensing politics of Affinity photo? Especially, when updates with bugfixes are released, or new features introduced, will i need to pay again for new versions?

Thanks

• Staff

Hi afarkas,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

1- Macros were introduced in version 1.5 and due to the huge number of commands not all operations are supported at the moment as you discovered. We do intend to improve it as we move forward. There's no eta for any specific fixes/improvements sorry. Fixes/improvements are added when they are ready.

2 - Actually there's a couple more than in Photoshop already. Which other blend modes do you like to see?

3 - As far as i know yes, they are not intended to be edited through a text editor.

4 - Yes you can edit/design your own brushes. Some users are already sharing theirs in the Resources section on this forum (both commercial and free ones). I've listed some on this page.

5 - Affinity Photo is not a DAM software. It's not intended to manage image sets/collections etc. Likewise it's also not able to save RAW edits to external XMP sidecar files or save them on a database nor apply the same settings to multiples photos from a common photoshoot/set for example (however it does support batch jobs). It's more comparable to Adobe Camera RAW + Adobe Photoshop rather than Lightroom. We do intend to develop our own DAM software later. If you are using the Mac version there's a small browser included mostly to access Mac image libraries (Apple Photos, Aperture etc) but it's quite basic and absent on the Windows version.

6 - All minor updates (1.6, 1.7, 1.8 etc) are free until version 2.0 which is a paid upgrade.

5 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi afarkas,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

1- Macros were introduced in version 1.5 and due to the huge number of commands not all operations are supported at the moment as you discovered. We do intend to improve it as we move forward. There's no eta for any specific fixes/improvements sorry. Fixes/improvements are added when they are ready.

2 - Actually there's a couple more than in Photoshop already. Which other blend modes do you like to see?

3 - As far as i know yes, they are not intended to be edited through a text editor.

4 - Yes you can edit/design your own brushes. Some users are already sharing theirs in the Reources section on this forum (both commercial and free ones). I've listed some on this page.

5 - Affinity Photo is not a DAM software. It's not intended to manage image sets/collections etc. Likewise it's also not able to save RAW edits to external XMP sidecar files or save them on a database nor apply the same settings to multiples photos from a common photoshoot/set for example (however it does support batch jobs). It's more comparable to Adobe Camera RAW + Adobe Photoshop rather than Lightroom. We do intend to develop our own DAM software later. If you are using the Mac version there's a small browser included mostly to access Mac image libraries (Apple Photos, Aperture etc) but it's quite basic and absent on the Windows version.

6 - All minor updates (1.6, 1.7, 1.8 etc) are free until version 2.0 which is a paid upgrade.

Thank you for answer. 

I meant blending modes as "Value", "Grain extract", "Grain merge" (as in Gimp) 

3 hours ago, afarkas said:

4 - Can one edit (or design own) brushes?

Follow the links in this post from Paolo Limoncelli.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Follow the links in this post from Paolo Limoncelli.

My apologies. The above link was copied from a post made before the forums were updated, and it now only takes you to the thread instead of a particular post. Here is a direct link to the post I had meant to link to earlier.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)