You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Best Software To Create PDF Presentation With Audio

I don't know whether Affinity/Serif have software for this, so thought I'd ask.....maybe someone knows of a better approach?

I have a pdf file which is made up of a series of  'PowerPoint-like' slides.

I want to add an audio commentary to each slide and eventually publish the whole presentation on YouTube.

This work is being done as a favour and I don't have the inclination to massively rework the 'slides'.....it's a large pdf 250 odd 'slides'.

Any ideas on the best way forward with this problem?

Apart from the single pdf file, I have also converted the pdf slide 'pages' into individual jpeg images.

Thanks for your response and suggestion....PowerPoint does indeed have some advantages.

However, as I now have the pdf converted to jpg images, I'm considering using the wonderful slideshow creation programme, 'PicturesToEXE'.

Seems rather expensive for what it does. Check this out.

http://www.photodex.com/proshow/gold

I used it a few years back for making wedding videos and it is very good and has hundreds of transitions and music clips. These days I use Powerpoint because it gives much more text control. Which I need.

Still, it's your money  :)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Well, what it does is, basically, runs rings around PSG!  :D

The Basic PTE is the same price as PSG, so that's not a problem and getting hold of PowerPoint is not exactly cheap.

You can produce a pretty good show with Basic. I did use PSG some years ago, but it had issues then and Customer Support was very poor.

If you want to get into the relative merits of this kind of software, (I don't), you can read some interesting comments here.....  http://bit.ly/2ywQNpI

I would agree, (with the comments in the link), that most professional slideshow producers seem to favour PTE.

But, it's horses for courses isn't it? You find PP best for what you do....which is fine.....other people will prefer presentation software or video editors for what they do.....which is equally fine.

Thing is, for those sort of prices, you can currently buy Cyberlink video editing software. Does everything slide shows editors do, plus video editing, 360 video, screen recorder, PIP, titles, audio editor, mask designer, transition designer etc, etc.

If you are talking about rings, it has an awful lot more of them ;)

What specific features are you looking for? Slide transition timing and audio recording? There use to be a free online slideshow editor called Slide Rocket, and that worked great, but it has been discontinued. I'm finding many interesting ones like Focusky, but they all offer monthly subscription! No thanks. You might be better off just using a video editing software. Movavi works great for me, and the new Video Editor Plus version that was recently released now supports keyframe animations.

On 10/17/2017 at 6:55 AM, toltec said:

As much as I dislike MS,

I hear ya.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I too am not a fan of Subscription software, although, after much soul-searching, I did finally subscribe to Adobe CC.

My current problem is slightly unusual. I am taking a show created by somebody else (in PP I think, then converted to pdf). I've now converted the pdf to jpg images and I'm trying to create a new show, with maybe some extra comments on the pages....maybe some totally new pages.

Eventually I want to publish it as a manually run show with an (optional) audio commentary. The material is educational and people will want to browse each slide at their own pace.....make notes etc.

As an added extra, I'm wondering whether a Narration could be added to each slide, as a benefit to those with poor eyesight and the whole shebang be uploaded to YouTube? Or, would I have to record the narration myself and have it play in conjunction with the slide?

I'm not an expert in any of the softwares involved here and being selfish!, keen to spend as little as possible and make the task as easy as possible for myself.....although I'm not averse to learning some new skills along the way.

I've not been pushed into this project.....just seeing if I could improve a little on the current show and surprise the author.

I too am not a fan of Subscription software, although, after much soul-searching, I did finally subscribe to Adobe CC.

This cat represents the Affinity mascot.

Joking aside, was it Adobe Spark you went with? Because I don't think there is another Adobe product that does something similar to what you want to do.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

That's an odd coincidence. One of the reasons I use Powerpoint now is because I do work for a local charity, and some of their clients have very poor eyesight and so forth. Some are also a bit deaf, so narration is not always that helpful. Pardon?

Youtube is a problem because it is a simple video player and not exactly interactive. However, it is quite easy to pause playing (Spacebar).

How about the slides in order, then where necessary a slide with nice big text? I do that with Powerpoint and it works well because there is time to read it before moving to the next slide. The viewer decides when to move on.

At least with Youtube, they can play the slides then hit the spacebar to pause and allow time to read the text slides.

Apart from the slide creation, you can do all that in any Affinity app, making the text slides look nice. Use a cheap (or free) slide creator to assemble into a YouTube video.

Bri-Toon you've just made my task harder....I've never heard of Adobe Spark!!  Will have to check it out I guess....

Photography is an interest and I got CC mainly for Photoshop, Lightroom etc.

toltec, I guess I'll just have to play with the options and see what works best for me. 

It's up to you, but I wonder if you can cancel your subscription while you still research. Additionally, I know you said you don't want to use PowerPoint, but there is a free alternative from WPS Office which is pretty much its clone. (It is for Windows, Linux, and IOS only; no Mac version) If you try it out, make sure you run the version from Kingsoftstore.com and not WPS.com. Kingsoft changed their name to WPS some time ago and opened a new website. Their products on WPS are paying products while the ones on Kingsoft (last update in 2016) are free (as long as you download the right suite). I just don't know about a recording option since I never tested that.

There is also Polaris Office which looks very identical to Microsoft, but they require online registration.

I don't want to cancel my Adobe membership Bri-Toon.....I need Photoshop etc for my photography work.

I also didn't mean I was averse to using PowerPoint (I own two standalone versions)....I just don't see how it would help me.

Converting back from pdf to PP comes with a few problems and I'm trying to keep my workload with this whole project, as low as possible.

I misunderstood. I thought you were looking for just presentation software; not photo editing in addition.

Bri-Toon my head has been in a bit of a whirl since I first thought of 'helping' my friend.....in some ways I'm sorry I ever had this idea!!

I start off thinking/assuming I needed Presentation software to do the job (I already own PTE De Luxe)......however, further thought and comments from toltec indicated that, maybe, video editing software or PowerPoint was, maybe, a better option?

Your introduction of Spark into the mix was yet another option. I've given Spark an initial look and it's very impressive (with simplicity of use being its cornerstone I think).

Not sure how I would get my files into Spark.....will just have to give it a try. I particularly like that I can just talk over each image as I bring them in.

You don't have to be sorry at all. Tools come in variety, and finding the right ones is a difficult task for anyone. I've been there.

I'd say continue to take the time to research and find out which one suites you best.

With Adobe Spark, the button to import content is not on the main UI, but on the slides themselves. See here.