Kasimir

instant crash on moving first new layer

Same issue here moving any layer. Running Designer 1.6.0.89 but have also tried the latest beta. Tried the same in Photo (same version) and have exactly the same issue.

Hey Rit, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

Any layer at any point? Can you press Windows key + R and paste this into the RUN box: %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\ and make a copy of your 1.0 folder and zip it up and attach it in here so we can try and reproduce this. Then restart the app with the Ctrl key held down and click Clear when prompted. This will reset the app for you. Let me know if that works.

On 15/11/2017 at 8:42 AM, Chris B said:

Hey Rit, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

Any layer at any point? Can you press Windows key + R and paste this into the RUN box: %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\ and make a copy of your 1.0 folder and zip it up and attach it in here so we can try and reproduce this. Then restart the app with the Ctrl key held down and click Clear when prompted. This will reset the app for you. Let me know if that works.

Have tried to reset as suggested but still the same issue, as I mentioned this is affecting both Photo and Designer, which may be different to the problem Kasimir reported.

To replicate all I do is create a new doc in photo or designer, add a few blank layers and try to move one of them. As soon as I do that the app just closes immediately (it used to hang but it doesn't do that now). Also tried the latest beta but exactly the same issue.

1.0.zip

Hey rit,

I've tried for ages now on both apps and 2 different OS's with your folder and it won't crash. The only thing I did notice it that when I was using your 1.0 folder, drawing out shapes was really slow. Doing a Ctrl runup and clearing everything fixed that but I can't recommend you do that unless you aren't concerned about losing any customisations. I'll keep investigating. 

Thanks for your help so far. 

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Hey Rit,

I've tried for ages now on both apps and 2 different OS's with your folder and it won't crash. The only thing I did notice it that when I was using your 1.0 folder, drawing out shapes was really slow. Doing a Ctrl runup and clearing everything fixed that but I can't recommend you do that unless you aren't concerned about losing any customisations. I'll keep investigating. 

Thanks for your help so far. 

Thanks for your help so far. I can't see it being an issue with config in the 1.0 folder since I've cleared and re-installed and the same problem persists. 

Designer always used to work fine (1.5) but prior to the 1.6 update this issue appeared, I upgraded to 1.6 at the time hoping it would fix the issue. In the meantime I bought Photo only to find it has the exact same issue.

Hey Rit,

Development have asked if you can provide a screenshot of your entire workspace just before the crash happens. We want to see if there's a connection between what panels are displayed at the time of the crash. Also, do you have any crash reports in %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\CrashReports? They have also requested a video if possible but I appreciate not everyone has access to this type of software. We use ScreenToGif (which is free to download) but it's up to you, thanks. 

What OS are you using? I've tried several times here on Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update and I can't get it to crash. Do you have any third party software which might be interferring with mouse, or tooltips or anything like that? 

Windows 10 1703. Have lots of different software installed but only thing I have relating to the mouse is Element Gaming mouse software (have tried with that closed but not uninstalled, however this has always been installed, including when it was working fine). Any reason why it wouldn't be at least creating a crash report?

23 minutes ago, pauls said:

Rit are you setup for left handed options on a touchscreen PC ?

No, afraid not. Right handed, no touch.

Also tried on another laptop running W10 1703 and getting the same issue. It's probably caused by some 3rd party bit of software but how do we track it down? These PCs have loads of software installed as they are business machines. 

2 minutes ago, Rit said:

Also tried on another laptop running W10 1703 and getting the same issue. It's probably caused by some 3rd party bit of software but how do we track it down? These PCs have loads of software installed as they are business machines. 

You could try to see what other processes are running at the same time, by looking at Task Manager. If you screenshot the Task Manager and upload the images we can take a look for you (you might need to scroll down a few times...).

Ok, so it looks like the problem relates to a piece of software we use called "My Endpoint Protector". Uninstalled it, Photo works fine, re-installed it and the issue occurs. This is something that has to stay installed because it locks down USB ports etc.... So how do we go about getting to the bottom of the issue? Not sure why its working on my W10 1709 PC though.

3 minutes ago, Rit said:

Ok, so it looks like the problem relates to a piece of software we use called "My Endpoint Protector". Uninstalled it, Photo works fine, re-installed it and the issue occurs. This is something that has to stay installed because it locks down USB ports etc.... So how do we go about getting to the bottom of the issue? Not sure why its working on my W10 1709 PC though.

Great. Thanks for finding that out. We can install it here and try to reproduce the issue.

If Microsoft is aware of this software causing a crash, it may install a shim to stop the crash (it does this for lots of other software).

For some reason I tried it out again and this time it generated a crash report! I mentioned this forum topic in the notes. Reference: 8760f961-3593-4d0b-890c-07d815073596.

5 minutes ago, Rit said:

For some reason I tried it out again and this time it generated a crash report! I mentioned this forum topic in the notes. Reference: 8760f961-3593-4d0b-890c-07d815073596.

Thanks, I found the crash report. Unfortunately, all I can see is that it crashed in the "My Endpoint Protector". It looks like they inject themselves into our application, and then try to hijack some of our messages. There is nothing we can do to fix this. I think the best thing to do is report this as a bug to the manufacturers of "My Endpoint Protector". I will update our page on Third Party Software.

DLL: csprnthk.dll

Path: C:\Program Files\CoSoSys\My Endpoint Protector\csprnthk.dll

Version: 4.06.7.6

Timestamp: 30/03/2017 10:30

Address: 00007FFF9CC80000-00007FFF9CCCE000