You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Duplicate font issue specifically with OpenSans

I am currently at a loss on what could be happening.

After downloading all faces for OpenSans, I get duplication within the font selection menu in Affinity Designer (see screenshots).

The specific issue comes when I select "semibold" which then causes the faces menu to go blank and and "?" question mark to appear in the fonts menu for OpenSans.

Where is Affinity designer look for its fonts (directories)?

Does Affinity Designer use OpenSans internally?

I think the simple work around is to just install the non-duplicates (it is what I will end up doing if I can't resolve this).

I've tried to do several things, to find the duplicates:

1) Uninstalled OpenSans (the Light, Light Italic, Regular, Italic, Semibold, Bold faces remain)

2) Installing OpenSans again (I get duplicates, but the only one that causes the blank menu is the "SemiBold" face)

3) Disabling OpenSans (same as #1)

4) Searching for the fonts files, Terminal: find / -name "OpenSans*"

5) Checking specific font locations https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201722

6) Restart

7) Preferences > Clear Fonts

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 1.06.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 1.07.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 1.07.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 1.08.00 PM.png

For what it is worth, I just downloaded & installed the Open Sans fonts from https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Open+Sans using Font Book to install them. All typefaces seem to be working fine with Affinity Designer 1.5.5, including SemiBold. No duplicates, no "?" when I select any of them, etc.

@farinspace, I suggest using Font Book to check for duplicate fonts & to validate the Open Sans ones you have installed. It sounds to me like this is either font corruption issue or a duplicates conflict. Unless you need to use a more advanced font manager, it is usually best to use Font Book to manage your fonts, particularly for finding duplicates or deleting or installing them. That way you do not need to look in the different directories, which to answer one of your questions can be in any of them mentioned in the Apple support document you linked to.

Affinity does not install any fonts but it should be able to access any of them if they are installed in one of the mentioned directories.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

In the screenshot showing duplicate 'Light Italic' and 'Regular' entries, the first 'Semibold' is not Open Sans. detective.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just found this thread looking for a solution to a similar problem with Open sans fonts and affinity.

I'm finding that after saving and reloading the document that the correct font is showing but the Style (bold/light etc) is blank.  The result is that it seems to use a default sans font throughout the entire document.

This is happening on two different PC's and I've not exchanged the file between them.  I was using Skyfonts to sync from google if that makes a difference but I uninstalled that a few weeks ago and I'm still having the same problems.

fontissue.PNG

• 4 months later...