You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there,

I‘m having serious problems with irregular moiré patterns on clothing, especially suits. 

Removing the rainbow colours is no problem. What’s very annoying is the texture remaining afterwards.

I tried to eliminate it by means of the hue/saturation slider and what else you can find on the net. But this often isn‘t sufficient and sometimes I end up cloning the small lines of the structures.

SO, my question: Is there any cool solution in Affinity Photo to remove moiré from clothing in photos? 

(I‘m not looking for solutions for scanned images!!!)

Thanks for all professional help!

Hi Lee and Bobaffinity,

thanks for trying to help.

I was in a hurry and solved the problem by myself — but it was very hard work.

1. I selected the piece of clothing affected and added a new layer in colour mode

2. I removed the rainbow colours by painting them over with brush in color—mode

on this layer.

3. With the selection on the background layer I made a new layer in colour mode and filled it with white.

4. Above the background layer added a hue\saturation layer to remove the remaining structure / pattern of the moiré by adjusting colour

Since this last step only removed some parts of the pattern (as there were different patterns on the whole piece) I ended up stamping the thin lines or replacing them line by line, still trying to keep the texture of the cloth. 

Lots of hours of work!

I did this in Photoshop, unfortunately.

I like Affinity but am not much used to it by now, so Photoshop worked quicker for me.

One thing that still keeps me from switching completely to Affinity is that (as far as I know) EXIF and especially IPTC is not supported completely.

Tom

• 4 years later...

Hello Affinity Folks,

As did the previous posters to this thread, in 2017, I am having trouble removing a moire pattern from an area of clothing worn by the subject in a b+w converted image. I've tried what was suggested earlier (without resorting to Photoshop, which I have no desire to do) with no success. 

Does anyone have a solution to remove moire from clothing? I've submitted a JPEG screen shoot with the problematical area selected. 

Thank-you.

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 10.23.57 AM.jpg

• 1 year later...

I just made a tutorial with a new method (bandpass mask) from Photo 2.

I added a bit noise to get a more realistic look.

1705576318_moireremovalbandpassmask.thumb.png.b567a1f15b5b5c97661e6c1efe40b1e1.png

moire removal bandpass mask.afphoto

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.