You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop Tool Inconsistencies

I am happy to see the improvements in the Crop Tool - most notably the idea that the initial crop should stay within the bounds of the document. There are some serious issues that I just came across this morning.

I opened a panorama and tried to set the crop to a "10 : 1" setting - the idea was to take the top and bottom off the picture, leaving only a slice in the middle. When I attempted this using the "Custom Ratio" choice, I got only a miniscule crop in the middle of the picture. I could grab the handles and expand the crop, but this was (to say the least) pretty clunky.

59e25285ec925_Crop-CustomRatio.jpg.4e57b619fcee93c442a5a95b838fa7c3.jpg

However, if I save the "10 : 1" crop as a Preset, and used the preset when attempting the crop, everything seemed to work as I imagine it should.

59e252878d706_Crop-Preset.jpg.af3ccde0ee16541ea273ff8fda398d68.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

What are the overall dimensions of your picture before the crop and, more importantly, how did you request AP to perform the crop?

I can easily get a crop to be any size I want - that is not the issue. The problem, as I see it, is that the behavior is inconsistent. If I ask Affinity to crop using a Custom Ratio, it places a crop in the middle of the picture but that crop is miniscule. If I ask Affinity to crop using a Preset (even using the same ratio as the "custom" ratio I requested previously) the crop extends all the way to the borders. This latter behavior is how I believe the crop should work, and is what i believe was intended.

As per the screenshots in my original post, I get two different results when I request the same crop in two different manners.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

No harm, no foul. It's precisely because that little crop rectangle is so small that I posted!

So... is this a bug, or am I missing something?

• 2 weeks later...

This should get the 'bug' tag.

My description above was wrong.

Just after opening a photo I can custom crop 1:10 or 10:1, both behaving as expected.

If I first crop 1:10 (without actually performing the crop), and then change the values to 10:1, the second crop is performed inside my initial crop - that's why the resulting area is so small.

You can see the steps it takes while you're changing the values.

@smadell: can you confirm? 
1.6.6 (Beta 8): If you directly, as the first thing, crop 10:1 it works, but if you change the values the marked area becomes tiny?

-----

PS:
This also works wrong in AP 1.5.2 but in a different way.
(Has been a bug since before AP initially got released https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/12394-what-happened-to-topic8799-crop-tool-inconsistency)

So, in answer to your questions...

I am using an iMac on OS 10.12, and now testing Affinity Photo Beta 1.6.6 Beta 8. Also, I created two different crop presets for this test: 1:10 and 10:1.

In Beta 8, if I choose a Crop Method of "Custom Ratio" and type in something that is NOT one of my presets (let's say, I type in 8:1) I get an initial crop that extends all the way to the margins in the proper aspect ratio. This is the way I would expect it to work, and is a major improvement since the initial report (in Beta 6 or 7).

If I choose a Preset (such as my 10:1 choice) I also get a crop that also extends to the borders.

So, my conclusion is that the initial setting works the same irrespective of whether it is done by choosing a Preset or by typing numbers into the Custom Ratio fields. This is a BIG improvement.

If I make an initial crop but do not commit it, and subsequently (i) choose a different preset; or (ii) type in different numbers using the Custom Ratio method, I get a further crop in that new aspect ratio. However, the subsequent crop is done within the new borders previously defined by the first crop. In other words, if I make a series of cropping aspect ratio choices, my crop borders get smaller and smaller. If I choose an aspect ratio for a crop, Cancel it (thus eliminating the initial crop borders) and subsequently make a NEW choice (using an aspect ratio preset or by choosing Custom Ratio) I get a set of crop borders that extends to the margins, as expected.

So, this is a good and expected result. This confirms your notion that the crop borders can get smaller and smaller if a series of aspect ratios are chosen without cancelling the one before. I, for one, can live with that.

I'd still love to see the developers combine cropping and resizing in the same step, but I'm OK with leaving that for another day.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.