Sign in to follow this  
ThereIsHope

Antialiasing around rectangular images after drag and drop operation

Hello all!

I'm having problems with some antialiasing that appears around rectangular images I drag and drop or copy across documents in Photo.

It is even worst when I rasterise* the image to make it pixel, the antialias is taken into account and the image size is increased by 1x1 pixels.
I came from Photoshop and never had such issue; probably a bug in Photo?. Why is this happening and how can I stop it from happening?

Thanks

*By the way, why does the rasterise command have three dots but it doesn't bring a settings pop up? Did it have one before?

Hi ThereIsHope,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Go to menu View ▸ Studio ▸ Snapping Manager and tick Force Pixel Alignment - there's an icon in the main toolbar to enable/disable it too (near the magnet icon group - the one on the left). This will ensure that objects you move will stick to whole X,Y coordinates.

If you try to rasterise a layer which have Layer Effects applied the program will prompt/ask you if you want to keep them editable or rasterise the effects thus the three dots.

Hello MEB!

Thanks for your reply.

The option was already ticked, I didn't know about this option so it was probably ticked by default. I un-ticked and ticked it again to double check but the issue is still present. I can see the difference when the option is not set, which adds more antialiasing.

I also noticed that some times doesn't happen. Not sure but It probably depends on the image's size (odd or even size) and/or where the images lands on the document after begin dropped. But happens more often than not and still increased 1x1 after rasterization :(

Any more ideas? I will keep experimenting what could be the best solution.

Thanks

Hello again,

I have a 1101 x 682 BMP file. I dragged and dropped it on a larger canvas in Photo. Force Pixel Alignment is set. The 3 edges of the images has the antialias. Some inside the image (making a solid row of pixel semi-transparent) and also outside, adding a line of antialiasing. I noticed the Transform panel says the image is 1101.3 x 682.2 pixels size... why not whole numbers? Surely this is a bug?

By the way, the Transform panel seems buggy because sometimes is just greyed-out when I select an image. Seems like it doesn't refresh their values. Probably not getting an event/message from the canvas or something along the lines.

Hi ThereIsHope

Do you also have the move by whole pixel option enables? This override the force pixel alignment and literally moves by adding a pixel to the current value, even if it has decimal places. Try turning this off then moving to snap to whole pixels first then feel free to turn it back on thereafter

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi Chris_K,

Yes, I tried that option. But it is a bit tricky to get it right. And the size of the image is still wrong regardless. I don't know what else I can do.

However, Photo seems to give me better results if I open the image file instead of drag and drop it. Most of the time gets the size correct after copying the image and paste it onto the other document. I wonder if there is a way to instruct Photo to open images in a new document when I drag and drop (faster operation than File/Opening) instead of adding it to the current document...

For now I had to go back to Photoshop to finish some work since I don't have that problem there. But I am not giving up Photo! I will try some more ideas later on. Thanks for helping me through this.

Oh! Silly me. I figured it out. If I drag and drop over, say, Photo's toolbar, it opens the image in its own document. There is hope!

So then I select all, copy and paste it into the destination document. It involves more steps but this method reduces the chances of getting the antialiasing effect and incorrect image size.

By the way, I also found the "Place..." command. I assume it does the same as drag and drop an image file on top of a document but allows you to tell what position in the document you want it. I guess that's the only difference. I tried it and it also has the same issues with adding antialiasing ans changing image size by fractions :( Oh well.

Thanks