You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD exporting every new row of text in pdf as a new object

I found problem in Affinity Designer. I was created a text block with multiple rows. But after exporting it to pdf file and opening in Adobe Illustrator I see divided blocks of texts for every new row. AD do not saving every text block as single object with multiple rows and paragraphs. And second problem - AD do not care about layers and groups sctrucrure of current document in exported pdf file.

28 minutes ago, MikeW said:

A pdf doesn't have a concept of paragraphs or text frames. Just lines (runs) of text, text attributes and their coordinates. 

But when pdf file created in Adobe Illustrator and after opened in AD - texts do not splitting by rows to every new object.

When you save a copy to PDF from Illy, uncheck the option to Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities (which is the default). That option saves a copy of the Illy file in the PDF and that AI version embedded in the PDF is what Illy is really opening.

Here's the text from your opening post, saved out as a PDF with the mentioned option unchecked, then brought back into Illy...

capture-001448.png.f0900a99de7e040825e75211a384c268.png

10 minutes ago, MikeW said:

When you save a copy to PDF from Illy, uncheck the option to Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities (which is the default). That option saves a copy of the Illy file in the PDF and that AI version embedded in the PDF is what Illy is really opening.

Here's the text from your opening post, saved out as a PDF with the mentioned option unchecked, then brought back into Illy...

capture-001448.png.f0900a99de7e040825e75211a384c268.png

What about checkbox "Preserve Editing Capabilities" in AD? :-)

On 16.10.2017 at 1:16 PM, Chris_K said:

Hi viterzbayraku

On opening a PDF, the dialog gives you the option to group lines of text into frames. Depening on the layout of the PDF It won' t get all the text but should get a number of blocks. This maybe more what you are after

Cheers

I want have normal export option from AD (not opening). But pdf exporting do not giving it..

If this is about Illy not reconstructing a PDF's text strings into paragraphs,  go to the Adobe forum, find out where the wish list for Illy is, and make a feature request there. And while at it, also request that Illustrator honor layers in a PDF. It never has and likely never will.

AD's export is normal.

• 1 month later...
On 17.10.2017 at 8:35 PM, MikeW said:

If this is about Illy not reconstructing a PDF's text strings into paragraphs,  go to the Adobe forum, find out where the wish list for Illy is, and make a feature request there. And while at it, also request that Illustrator honor layers in a PDF. It never has and likely never will.

AD's export is normal.

Ok. Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2017 at 4:39 AM, MikeW said:

...uncheck the option to Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities (which is the default). That option saves a copy of the Illy file in the PDF and that AI version embedded in the PDF is what Illy is really opening.

Why is it that Affinity Designer does not have the same setting as Illustrator when exporting a PDF?  Or is that what AD's Export Preset "PDF (for export)" accomplishes?

It should be obvious by reading my query that I do use that feature, and I will continue use it regardless of whether other people use it or not.  How do I use it?  I create a large number of PDF files and place them on a local server for employees to merely double-click and print (people who have no design ability at all).  I then can edit them as the need arises.  No need to keep the original Illustrator file in that case.  Keeping the original Illustrator file, editing it, saving it, and then creating another PDF is a ridiculous amount of extra work that is totally unnecessary and completely eliminated by that excellent feature.  That's why it exists and that is why I use it.  No doubt I am not alone.  And in this usage case, it does not matter at all if the resulting PDF file size becomes a bit bigger as a result.

Well, I guess it wasn't as obvious to me as to you. No where in your post mentions that you indeed used this "feature."

There is only one PDF type that Illy can save a copy of its file into and that is not the best PDF type for a typical print-centric workflow. I don't have a workflow that requires, or would ever need, that PDF I output to be opened for editing and no service provider I have used would want it (or could even use that AI Default type of PDF anyway). It is seldom that I do not use a PDF/X type of output for print usage. Once in a while I produce a lower resolution version optimized for web use and downloading.

So you see, we have different work-flows and needs/desires. If you feel this strongly about desiring such a feature, then you need to post in the Feature Request section.

Mike

Mike, as per your own catch phrase, I shall "train" you...

When someone speaks positively about a feature like I did, the probability they actually use that feature is quite high!  :-)

It doesn't matter if Illustrator's PDF format is "not the best."  When you've used that feature for years without a single hiccup why do something else that unnecessarily complicates the workflow?  As stated in my previous post, saving to an Illustrator file, then generating a PDF, then when changes are needed... edit the Illustrator file, save it, generate the PDF again -- it's all rather tedious and ridiculous, especially when you have hundreds of PDFs on a local server merely being used by people in an office to print.  That's why I think Affinity Designer would benefit by adding that feature, UNLESS AD's Export Preset "PDF (for export)" is provided for that purpose (about which you did not comment). And that is precisely why I have not yet submitted a Feature Request because I am awaiting a reply from someone knowledgeable at Serif who knows the answer to that exact question.

Thanks.

There is currently zero pdf export type in any Serif product, past or present, that embeds a copy of its file. None. Nada. Zip.

I already wrote that, though not as pissy.

You need to make a separate post for a feature request. Heck, there could already be one for all I know. What I do know is that it would be within a future major revision and not during the 1.x cycle.

Mike