You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photoshop CC Plugins

I haven't played around with the beta yet but is there any possibility that PS CC plugins can be compatible with this app ? I assume they won't be but if it's possible to do this it would really help capture market share.

I'm really rooting for this app to succeed. PS really needs some competition to keep Adobe's arrogance in check. I believe that targeting a small subset of USEFUL professional features is all that is needed. No need to replicate all the bloated features from PS as most people don't use the majority of them. Keep the feature set lean, robust, and lightweight and I will be lining up to buy this product. Heck, I would pay more for this than PS CC's effective yearly cost just because it's NOT Adobe. I know many people feel the same. 

• Staff

Hi keptcha,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, Affinity Photo supports Photoshop compatible plug-ins.

Check Affinity Photo Beta -> Preferences, Photoshop Plug-ins tab and add your plugin folder. Don't forget to restart the application. You can find the installed plug-ins in Filters -> Plug-ins.

I believe that targeting a small subset of USEFUL professional features is all that is needed. No need to replicate all the bloated features from PS as most people don't use the majority of them. Keep the feature set lean, robust, and lightweight 

Don't listen to this fellow:. maybe most people don't use all of the features of PS but different people use different obscure but valuable features. Professional software has to allow for a big toolbox. If you want lightweight software, there are several freeware alternatives available. I want Affinity to have the horsepower to beat Adobe with a full set of professional features. 

Don't listen to this fellow:. maybe most people don't use all of the features of PS but different people use different obscure but valuable features. Professional software has to allow for a big toolbox. If you want lightweight software, there are several freeware alternatives available. I want Affinity to have the horsepower to beat Adobe with a full set of professional features. 

As a fairly experienced PS hand, I couldn't agree more. For those that need 'PS Light', there's Elements and a number of others. To call out Adobe over Photoshop, Affinity Photo needs to have a correspondingly wide and deep feature set, eventually including the video and 3D functions, too.

Kind regards,

Joachim

There already are “light” image editing applications for the Mac: Pixelmator, Acorn and so on – all great applications. But we don't need another one of those. We need something that can take on Photoshop.

I don't mind all those features in Photoshop. Even those I'll never use (e.g. 3D in my case) don't bother me as long as they don't get in my way. Because, who knows, I might need them one day.

What annoys me about Photooshop, apart from their subscription-based money making scheme and Adobe as a company, is the so-called “user experience”. Why do I need to convert a layer “for smart filters”? Why do some dialogs still look like they did in 1990? Why can't Adobe use the system windows as provided by OS X? And so on.

Hi keptcha,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, Affinity Photo supports Photoshop compatible plug-ins.

Check Affinity Photo Beta -> Preferences, Photoshop Plug-ins tab and add your plugin folder. Don't forget to restart the application. You can find the installed plug-ins in Filters -> Plug-ins.

So I just added the Alien Skin Eye Candy plugin to Affinity Photo in the Photoshop Plug-ins tab... restarted Affinity Photo... opened a file... selected a layer... went up to the "Filters" menu... selected Plugins>Alien Skin>Eye Candy 7... and nothing happens. Nothing launches. Am I doing something wrong?

And as I have pointed out in several posts my experience with the Topaz plugins has been mixed at best.

I have my system setup as specified, both search and support folders. When I use the CC plugins folder for the search location sometimes the plugins work, sometimes the plugins crash and sometimes Affinity Photo crashes.

When I specify each plugin separately in the search location some plugins work, some don't work and some work or crash, depending on their mood, I guess.

photoFXLab, which is really an executable, has never worked. Clarity crashes about half the time, Detail normally works, DeNoise has always worked, Adjust sometimes crashes and ReMask has never actually been able to run because nothing I do to the layers prevents the error message telling me that it cannot run using a Background Layer. It is very discouraging. I contacted Topaz and they said that as far as they knew they were not compatible with Affinity Photo but would put it on the list and see what was wrong.

None of the non-Topaz plugins work for me at all. The Dxo plugin never starts, the PhotoNinja plugin never starts and the PerfectlyClear plugin, which is a real plugin (the Dxo and PhotoNinja "plugins" are really more like separate executable apps) wants to deactivate all my other PerfectlyClear plugin activations on my MacBook Pro and, even then, won't start. Athentech, which makes PerfectlyClear, says it should not be compatible with Affinity Photo, but they say the same thing about PhotoLine but it works with that editor without issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Alien Skin Eye Candy was the first plugin I tried, as it is a personal favorite. I tracked down the path for the support files, and I've also tried using "/" but in neither case does the plugin work. It appears grayed out, but it could be a part of their software's design to prevent piracy (since it's not being hosted in Photoshop?)...

Love the application and it's got many features lacking in other powerful (yet budget-conscious) applications like Pixelmator. I look forward to a fix for these more powerful plugins.

Thanks!

post-8085-0-85222100-1425993000_thumb.png

Alien Skin Eye Candy was the first plugin I tried, as it is a personal favorite. I tracked down the path for the support files, and I've also tried using "/" but in neither case does the plugin work. It appears grayed out, but it could be a part of their software's design to prevent piracy (since it's not being hosted in Photoshop?)...

Love the application and it's got many features lacking in other powerful (yet budget-conscious) applications like Pixelmator. I look forward to a fix for these more powerful plugins.

Thanks!

First I need to say that I have no experience with Alien Skin Eye Candy so anything I say may be useless or wrong. On the other hand ...

The AP people have been working to fix the plugin issues and with the current beta I now can run Topaz FXlab and, with it, all of my other Topaz plugins and that is quite an improvement over how earlier betas worked with my Topaz plugins. I assume the next release, whenever it comes out, will contain additional plugin compatibility. On the other hand my Athentech PerfectlyClear plugin does not yet work with AP (although it works perfectly with PhotoLine).

My "plugins" for Photoshop come in two flavors - actual plugins like those from Topaz and those that fit into what Photoshop calls its Automation interface. Those include stuff like Perfect Suite from OnOne, Photomatix Essentials (HDR stuff) and some others. My understanding is that AP expects to get the normal plugins working but not those that work through Adobe's Automation interface. Which one is Eye Candy?

The only time I have seen any of my plugins "grey-ed out" in the drop-down box was when I had the wrong layer selected. Some of my plugins don't work, some crash and burn and some work properly but I am not seeing any of them un-enabled in the dropdown box if I have the background layer selected.

Das Plug-In Imageonomic Noiseware 5.x funktioniert nach Neuregistrierung mit der Einschränkung das die Vorschau in Graustufen erfolgt. Die Nick Collection will neu registriert werden, was auf Grund des neuen Verfahrens von Google nicht geht. (eine separate Seriennummer wird nicht geliefert)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.