You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dramatic sky (not HDR)

Kasper-V

I went for a stroll yesterday -- without my camera. But I had my phone and took one or two snaps -- before the battery ran out. At the end of a pretty country lane which follows a little stream is this green verge. The dynamic range is not brilliant on phone cameras, but I took a coupe of shots, one exposed for the highlights and one for the darker areas.. When I tried to merge the two as an HDR job the results were disappointing, so Plan B: take the better-exposed shot and play with it.  I copied the sky to a separate layer, then applied a little tone mapping to the bottom layer, warming up the white balance and slightly overdoing the saturation. Then I applied a tone mapping to the sky, banging the local contrast up to 100%. Although I couldn't find a blend mode I was happy with, a little fiddling with the transparency of the sky layer gave me a result that worked for me. A little bit of fun rather than a serious photo, and destined for FaceBook.

9424tm.jpg.0649bc46c8cc3e4f03e7bf6bb0bf664c.jpg

Oh, I almost forgot: there was half a car on the right: you can probably see where I hastily cloned/inpainted it away.

Really nice. You don't really need all the grass at the bottom as it's mostly about the sky. Because I'm a lumberjack, I would skew the image to straighten the hedge (pull down bottom right corner in perspective tool).

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Yes, a bit too much grass. if I'd taken this on my 'proper' camera I'd have cropped it to 3x2 or 16x9, or what ever looked good. as it was on my phone, and much fewer pixels, I didn't bother. The sign's legs are pretty much vertical, so I didn't bother straightening it either, despite the skew-whiff look of the thing. Next nice day we get, I'll go out and do a proper shoot of the lane (much more photogenic) and maybe the sky too. :)

Oh yes. Kiss the sky. Though when he was accused of singing 'kiss this guy' he thought it so funny he started singing it for real.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.