Hi,

TL:DR

Set Fill / Paint / font colour change crashes the program when applied to a block image e.g. not a font.   Attempts to paint the entire A4 page but takes 15 minutes perhaps more.  Why does it take so long to paint a page.  Why did it paint a page when it was only a small portion that was selected.  Improve logic to prevent this?

Hardware i5 2500K overclocked to 4.1gHz, 8GB RAM, 128GB ssd, Intel onboard Graphic 3000, 4TB ssd/plater HD, AMD 5770 1GB video card

Creating another master piece and was just changing the colours of the fonts.  I then clicked on a block of graphic image and clicked on that to change its colour.  Once I did this the computer started to play up with the mouse becoming erratic e.g. not moving smoothly.  This got worse to the point I had no response from my computer.

After a minute approx I could get taskmanager to start and I could see that Affinity Photo was reporting it is "not responding"

At first it was using 1% cpu and 1.5 GB of memory

Being patient I waited perhaps another 5 minutes perhaps 10 and noticed that the program came back sort of. 

I checked taskmanager again and found that cpu use had risen to ~32% and 4.5GB of memory with 0.3% of disk activity.

The entire Affinity Photo program screen had a transparent grey all over the entire screen.   Normally when I see a program in this state I would conclude it had crashed.   I waited some more and found the program returned to a functioning state however my entire image had be painted the font colour.

At first I didn't realise it had done this but as I clicked on the image I noticed handles responded.  I saved the file "which had ballooned from 2MB to  27MB" in this state and restarted the program and found the entire image was still completely painted in the font colour.

I used the undo feature and managed to get the image back to where I wanted it.

I then attempted to change the colour again of the block image and guess what it did exactly the same thing and "crashed"

I took screen shots including the taskmanager if your interested.

The saved files seemed excessively large as for an A4 size page.   It is a very basic image with text a certificate of a swimming milestone for ABI swimmers.

Thought I would have had this done and dusted in say an hour or so but I have spent a considerable amount of time on it due to the "crashes" and writing in this forum.

59dff40b464b7_AffintyPhotocrasheddoingswimcertificate.jpg.7af208cd82664d80ff1171e56f1f8ccc.jpg59dff56f8a6ea_AffintyPhotocrasheddoingswimcertificategreyedout.thumb.jpg.fa3fbe1d31d533d70494e39764ce307a.jpg

Images blurred for privacy reasons.

Edited by Lateraln
added the words Set Fill

Hi Lateraln 

It's slightly difficult to see what may be happening here without seeing the file. Are you able to upload the file to us that you are having the issue with using this link? are you also able to exactly describe the exact elements that you are trying to change the colour on?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

On 16/10/2017 at 7:39 PM, Chris_K said:

Hi Lateraln 

It's slightly difficult to see what may be happening here without seeing the file. Are you able to upload the file to us that you are having the issue with using this link? are you also able to exactly describe the exact elements that you are trying to change the colour on?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.  I will upload in the next couple of days.

Regards.

On 16/10/2017 at 7:39 PM, Chris_K said:

Hi Lateraln 

Thanks

I have uploaded the .afphoto and also a movie screen capture which also captures what taskmanager is doing during the "not responding" section.

I hope this helps your team work out what went wrong. 

Look forward to some feedback.

Regards.

Thanks for the file and the video. I think the slowdown is due to the number of individual elements in a group. They are all pixel layers so technically selecting a colour on the colour panel should not change anything, however when grouped it does seem to and cover the entire document area which is wrong. I shall get this passed of to the development team

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com