You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot select open images for HDR, Stack, Panorama, etc

AF Photo for Windows v 1.5.2.69

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I am coming from being a LR/PS user and currently use Capture One and using Affinity Photo in place of PS.  A huge frustration and fiddly time waster is the apparent inability of AF to use open image files for panorama stitching, hdr, stacking, etc without having to use the browse to find the image files on their drive, directory, folder and then hope you have the correct ones.  I do a substantial number of multi file stacks/blends in my work. In PS there is a script for using open files and is very easy to select the open files.  Is there a macro or a function I am missing.  My "edit with" in Capture one properly opens the files in AF, however, that appears to be as far as I can go with using multiple open files.

I really like much of AF, however, I have been resorting to my old PS CS6 to do most of the above simply because it is easy to select the open files and then do the HDR, Panorama or stack. Hopefully I don't have to continue with PS and give up AF.

Thanks for any help or suggestions or preferably a macro to fix this.

Bob 

• Staff

Hi Bob,

Currently you have to browse/import the images after selecting the particular merge or stack that you want to create. Having an option to select already opened files has been suggested and may be add in a future update/version. 

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This software https://www.panoramastitcher.com/ allows me to drag and drop images directly from Capture One into their interface and then renders the pano.

No file picker, no dialog box.  Perhaps this can be implemented in Affinity?

This one interface problems prevents me from using the product and I will _not_ purchase again pending a better interface.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

One thing you can do while you wait. (for Mac only)

1. Open Affinity Photo
  2. Open Capture1 and select your 3+ files for merge
  3. Switch to Affinity Photo:
    1. Open the Stack, HDR, etc dialog
    2. click the Add button
  4. Drag the three + images from Capture 1 over to the Mac's file browser (what opened in 3.2)
  5. That should switch you to the right dir and select all of the files. Now just accept and continue.

I agree that a native drag/drop would be better, and even better would be a plugin for C1 that leverages their new plugin architecture. I believe the Affinity Photo/Capture One is the one two punch to the Adobe empire, let's make it awesome!

Although I support being able to add open files to a Stack etc, I find that I now open from files automatically closing any open ones first if needs be. 

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 11 months later...

Wow!, three years on and you still have not implemented Merg, HDR, Stack etc to open files. 

I really like the idea of Affinity and the integration with Designer etc, but this is taking the micky and a real deal breaker for anyone wanting to move away from Lighroom. Just what is the point of using Affinity when it is so cumbersome to do basic stuff like HDR and Panorama stitching.

Sorry but i'm switching back to Lighroom, Affinity is a waste of time as a photography tool until you sort this out.

John

Hi chaps etc,

Yes, the first time I've come to do an HDR stack and boom, No option to use current open files. Do  I really have to save off and reopen from that dialog? I see this was asked for in 2019. Seems like a small thing given the incredible power of this software. This and control over the colour of the guides, please Serif.

Steve