You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer SVG import to Silhouette Studio Challenges

Hello,

I've been having a terrible time with SVG files imported into Silhouette Studio from Affinity Designer when trying to create cut files of my designs. I've searched read the threads here on the issue. The one thread the characterizes my exact issue is found here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/18394-svg-export/

Where user @Busenitz says 

I can understand that all vectors are either set as cut lines (or not) and changes will need to be made in the cutting software.

What doesn't seem right is that parts disappear when exported to SVG (see above example and notice the white circle is missing in the SVG) 

Also, some items that are rasterized with transparent backgrounds (png) that are included in the SVG end up with a rectangle cutting line.

Definitely, the disappearing element is a problem. Some layers/elements just don't even show up no matter what I try. I've experienced all the challenges spoken in the Silhouette threads here.

I've tried all of the suggestions on the forum and it seems that Affinity Designer SVGs are the only files having this issue with Silhouette. The PDF option allows the entire design to import but there is always the issue with separating elements for cutting as well as proportion or sizing issues. 

What I'd like to know is whether or not this is an Affinity Designer (proprietary format) issue and there needs to be some more tweaking in either software programs to get this right. 

What is actual fix here and what am I missing?

What does AD have this issue and other programs do not?

I'm all in on AD and it has exponentially improved my design productivity...until I import my designs into Silhouette.

Any insight and guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

~T

I am still struggling with this issue myself.  PDFs are much preferable to SVG as far as losing format.  At one point I had tried saving from AD as an SVG, then opening that in iDraw, and ressaving it and opening it in SSDE.  That was much better, but a rather cumbersome work around.

I am not sure where the trouble lies.  Ideally, I would still love to have the plugin to cut directly from AD.  The Silhouette software is being updated, and is greatly improved since Version 2, but I love Affinity!

Thanks for the update @Busenitz 

Would love for someone from Team Affinity to weigh in.

I do agree AD is simply awesome software. I really, really enjoy using it. My wife loves her Silhouette software, cutting machines, and embroidery machines. I haven't used iDraw before and I don't really want to go back to Ai specifically for creating graphics for her. I really wish someone from Serif could shed light on this. I'll do what needs to be done, even if the workaround is a bit cumbersome and a bit redundant for some of the tasks.

Thanks again. Please, if you do find a good workaround, gain more insight into the issue or anything along these lines, I'd appreciate a tag in the forum if you post about so that I can keep in the know as well. 

Best to you,

~T

@thomas.artist

Without any experience in the Silhouette software, but some knowledge of SVG and raster/vector issues and the information in @Busenitz's example (excellent selection of sample steps!), it looks like it might be possible in AD with a little more preparation work to simplify the situation - in effect, to create vector silhouettes for Silhouette Studio.

The disappearing shape looks like a layer order problem in that example - SVG does not specify depth, so it might be easy to have shapes present but out of order, depending on the SVG file and the interpreting program. Depending on surrounding transforms, groups, and other SVG tags, a program that does not support the full SVG specification might also have trouble recognising that a shape exists inside a tag it does not recognise.

1. Make another copy of the AD file if you might re-use it in the future and want to make changes to shapes and textures.

2. Rasterise anything not needed as a cutting line e.g. the Happy Birthday text and inner black ring in your (Busenitz) other thread example, and also the white circle on the right-hand shape.

3. Probably not necessary, but I'm paranoid: If more than one rasterised layer for any single cutting shape, merge them. So the upper right circle shape, potentially merge the white circle down onto the outer texture layer.

4. The only real extra work: Create a vector cutting shape for any PNG or bitmap layer with transparency - do not reply on the PNG or bitmap transparency to create it.

In your example, create a rectangle vector shape for the outline of the bottom right image, and a vector "ribbon" shape for the outline of your lower left image.

Your upper left white circle should still be a vector shape, as should the outer circle on the upper right.

5. Another probably not necessary step: convert all vector shapes to curves.

6. Drag all rasterised/texture layers "inside" their appropriate vector cutting shape layer in the layer panel (so the vector shape also acts as an AD clipping shape).

So, in your example, you have two circular vector cutting shapes, one rectangular vector cutting shape, one "ribbon"-shaped vector cutting shape, and absolutely everything else is a bitmap layer "inside" each corresponding vector shape.

Your layers should now be a simple structure of:

-cutting shape (vector curve layer) (silhouette)

|__texture (bitmap layer)

7. Export as SVG.

If you want to post an example .afdesign file, I'll modify it appropriately and re-post it with matching steps.

If not, I'll fake up an example later tonight when I get home and get access to AD.

Let me know if I've missed anything significant in the process.

I create cutting designs using AD and do not have a (big) problem. The only thing is a shape filled with a bitmap - the filling isn't visible in Silhouette Studio. So I have the following workaround:

1. export the filled shape as svg

2. export the filled shape as png

In SIL-Studio I open the svg and fill the empty shape with the png using drag&drop

Bildschirmfoto 2017-10-13 um 20.07.22.png

Bildschirmfoto 2017-10-13 um 20.00.28.png

MacOS Big Sur AD + AP + APub

I  have had mixed success in opening in Silhouette SVG files created in Designer. The ones I've created have been relatively simple stencils. I couldn't open any svg files in an earlier version of Silhouette, but since I upgraded to version 4.1, some svg files do open. I don't know why some open and others don't.

Affinity Photo, V 2.3.1    Affinity Designer, V 2.2 Affinity Publisher, V 2.3.1

Mac Book Air, Sonoma, 14.2.1

Busenitz, 

I have following suggestions:

1. group your designs in separate groups (happy-group, donut-group ...)

2. rasterise your images to have pixel-layers

3. avoid using clipping masks; just draw a shape (circle, rectangle ...) and place your image (and rasterised!) or fill the shape with the image (fill-tool -> type -> bitmap)

4. create separate export-slices for every single group and export single pdfs (happy.pdf, donut.pdf...)

1 Bildschirmfoto 2017-10-14 um 10.55.45.png

2 Bildschirmfoto 2017-10-14 um 10.36.48.png

3 Bildschirmfoto 2017-10-14 um 10.50.34.png

Thanks, superhaschi. I'm attaching the file here. I created it in the Affinity Designer Beta 1.6.0. It's a drawing I made and then scanned. I can also send the svg file if that would be helpful.

asemic writing.afdesign

DianeF, there are no vector elements (=cutting lines in SIL-Studio) in your file and the SIL-app doesn't show up svg files that contains pixel elements.

You have to vectorize your file. You can use the auto trace tool in SIL-Studio oder trace it manually (watch some youtube videos https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=affinity+designer+trace

Thanks, Superhaschi. I also saved my file as a jpeg and then was able to use Silhouette's trace function. I wanted to create a stencil with the asemic writing and could do so from the jpg file. But it's good to know why the svg file didn't work.

Superhashi, thanks once again for suggestions.

I am wondering about exporting everything as separate PNGs, that would be simple, but if they are rasterized, wouldn't I have to trace them once imported into SSDE? Their trace feature is nice, but not as accurate as a vector in my experience.

As far as exporting to PDF, that has been the most successful for me, even exporting the entire page / design as one PDF.  The exception is if there is a bitmap with transparency.

And by the way - I did work some in iDraw/Graphic and had some problems (though different) when exporting to SVG, then importing to SSDE.   If there is any consistency I haven't figured it out.

Busenitz, I've suggested to rasterize your image-layers to pixel-layers. In AD there is a difference between this layers, that will solve the transparency problem. Because you don't rasterize the vector elements there is no need to trace in SSDE. Possibly you have to active the cut lines of the vector elements (curve layers, e.g. the rectangle, banner shape, circle), just select this layers an set "cut" in SSDE.

If you have all your design elements in one layer / as one pdf, the layers in SSDE will be that big size of the whole page size (I don't like this - it is a matter of taste ;) )

Link to AD file (it is to big to post directly): https://www.dropbox.com/s/lq3c451ojq1ajp1/Male_superhaschi.afdesign?dl=0

Male_superhaschi.studio3

Rectangle new.pdf

Donut new.pdf

Busenitz, you can use pdf if you want to - please look at my provided files here, Export setting was: PDF (for Export); also look at my screen of Export-Persona here

If you like to use svg, you have to export 2 files: the pixel-images as 1 png (possibly make the outline invisible) 

and the vector elements as svg;

in SSDE you have to drag the png into the vector shape;

SSDE doesn't show up a bitmap-filled svg (see here)

Thanks superhaschi!

That is what I am experiencing - misunderstood you.  I was thinking you could get the bitmap-filled svg if you rasterized the bitmap again..... (which obviously was not working)

Thank you again for all your help in this!!

The current process works, but would still like to see some improvements, but it may be up to Silhouette.  Cutting directly from AD would be AWESOME.  :-)