You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

13 minutes ago, Littletank said:

One thing I have noticed is if the image has been cropped before using NIK Silver FX Pro the uncropped image appears in the plugin but when the image returns to AP it is as cropped.

I see the same thing for all the NIK plugins. I assume this happens because cropping is non-destructive. I think this is as it should be -- it would be very annoying if the plugin was applied only to the cropped area & later I unclipped the canvas, revealing the unfiltered part of the image!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

I see the same thing for all the NIK plugins. I assume this happens because cropping is non-destructive. I think this is as it should be -- it would be very annoying if the plugin was applied only to the cropped area & later I unclipped the canvas, revealing the unfiltered part of the image!

You have lost me now, I have no idea what you mean by unclipping the canvas.

Document menu > Unclip Canvas 'uncrops' the canvas, revealing what the crop has removed (because cropping in Affinity Photo is non-destructive).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you R C-R for the explanation. Do you think that it might be a good idea if it were possible to be able to choose whether to keep or throw away the cropped portion of the image because, presumably, throwing away the cropped portion would help to reduce the file size?

2 hours ago, Littletank said:

Do you think that it might be a good idea if it were possible to be able to choose whether to keep or throw away the cropped portion of the image because, presumably, throwing away the cropped portion would help to reduce the file size?

That is already possible, if not obvious or always as straightforward as it might be. To do this, select the cropped image layer & from the Layer menu, select "Rasterize..."

However, because cropping applies to the entire document but rasterizing only applies to a selected layer, if the document has multiple layers & more than one includes an area outside the crop, you will have to do this for each of those layers individually. Alternately, you can use the Document menu "Flatten" item to discard everything outside the crop in one step, but that also 'flattens' everything into one layer.

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, Littletank said:

Surely, if you click on the green button, top left, the NIK screen becomes full size and is the same as the AP screen.

For Macs, the green 'traffic light' button maximizes the NIK window to the full screen size, but that does not mean the image in that window will have the same size as the image in the AP window. The NIK plugins have their own zoom controls.

2 hours ago, AtelierCunha said:

While using (as an example) Color Efex Pro, I make adjustments, efects, etc; but when I click Apply the result isn´t that strong and just like what I was seeing in the NIK window

I can't duplicate that on my iMac but from what I understand, it may have something to do with the plugins not always using the same color profile as the Affinity Photo window does. 

Affinity Photo 

30 minutes ago, R C-R said:

For Macs, the green 'traffic light' button maximizes the NIK window to the full screen size, but that does not mean the image in that window will have the same size as the image in the AP window. The NIK plugins have their own zoom controls.

I am sorry but I have to disagree about the image size unless I have accidentally chosen a special case. Using a rule I measured the dimensions of the same image on the AP screen and the NIK Color Efex screen and they were both the same.

14 minutes ago, Littletank said:

I am sorry but I have to disagree about the image size unless I have accidentally chosen a special case. Using a rule I measured the dimensions of the same image on the AP screen and the NIK Color Efex screen and they were both the same.

For both, the zoom level determines the image display size. In the Color Efex Pro 4 window, you can set the zoom level to various fixed percentages using the popup in the upper right corner of its window. Additionally, the side-by-side preview mode will change the display size in the plugin window.

Different NIK plugins have different zoom & preview options but from what I can tell, they are all based on the plugin window size, so for example for Color Efex Pro 4, "100%" zoom is equivalent to Affinity Photo's "Zoom to Fit" setting. 

Affinity Photo