You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shortcuts in Photo for add/subtract selection

Hello, is there any shortcut to use will have a selection tool to change between add and subtract instantly?

Like in PS?

This will make my life waaaay easier.

thank you!

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

• Staff

Hi Nitro912gr,

Welcome to the forums :)

Pressing the Alt key while using the selection brush will subtract from your selection, you can find the shortcuts for the other selections tools towards the bottom left of the app when you have the tool selected.

Thanks

C

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 13.10.39.png

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Now I feel stupid, :P I'm sure I tried it many times but didn't work, I tried it again and it is as you described.

But it seems that in windows there is so shortcut to add, only to subtract.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

I mean if there is something when you first select the tool and it have be default the New, so I don't have to first select Add. So I can change between new/add/subtract in an instant

I know it is a small step but with all this background removal I go through lately it can save me some time.

Current Workstation:

4 hours ago, toltec said:

I don't think so but it is sticky. If you select Add, then use the shortcut when subtracting, it should always be on Add.

At least on Macs, there is a "Synchronize tools between documents" Tools preference. When this is enabled, the current selection tool Add/New/Subtract/Intersect setting remains sticky when you switch between two open documents; otherwise they are independent of each other. I am not quite sure how this works when this pref is enabled -- sometimes both open documents retain the same setting but other times not.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Well I guess we found a bug then, because I have this selected but every time I close image 1 and open to work image 2 the tool is reset

edit: my bad, it seems that new add etc do sync, but the tool itself doesn't . I mean I select the tool and it is in freehand always, and doesn't remember that I was using the polygon one. Probably I'm confused with all this work I do those days :( and just ask the wrong questions here.

Current Workstation:

sorry I edited, it works, I'm just confused. I really need to rest first, post after

Current Workstation:

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm having troubles on the "ALT+mouse drag" combo using a Huion H610 tablet.
I found no way to set a shortcut on the customizable tablet keys, so I have to use the ALT key on my keyboard to quickly subtract from a selection, not the best way to work.

Any workaround to address this issue?

Thanks

12 hours ago, MDZ said:

Hi, I'm having troubles on the "ALT+mouse drag" combo using a Huion H610 tablet.
I found no way to set a shortcut on the customizable tablet keys, so I have to use the ALT key on my keyboard to quickly subtract from a selection, not the best way to work.

Any workaround to address this issue? 

Thanks

Hello MD,
welcome to this forum.
I use a Huion 1060 graphic tablet.
I solved it that way for me.
The ALT-button, have I an express button of the graphics tablet  assigned, this works fine.
(Press Alt on the graphic tablet,  then will the selectin subtract)
Regrettably  is this the only way for add or subtract the selection.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

On 12/16/2018 at 12:55 PM, Gnobelix said:

(Press Alt on the graphic tablet,  then will the selectin subtract)

Thanks Gnobelix, I guess I'm missing something because I'm not able to assign ALT to an express button only. I always have to assign a combo (ALT + any other key).
Did you manage to assign just the ALT key?

7 hours ago, MDZ said:

Thanks Gnobelix, I guess I'm missing something because I'm not able to assign ALT to an express button only. I always have to assign a combo (ALT + any other key).
Did you manage to assign just the ALT key?

hello I don't know about your tablet but I had a similar problem with my wacom last week, maybe it is similar with yours, so I found out that to set ALT as a button I wasn't supposed to look at the menu that I can pick keyboard shortcuts but on another menu named functions where I could pick the ctrl, alt, shift buttons alone. See if your software is similar.

Current Workstation:

Hello MDZ;
normally, you can only assign the alt keys to the hotkeys:
see the screenshot:
I think the Huion software is at you similar:

Cheers

Sreen.png

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

5 hours ago, MDZ said:

Thanks Nitro, regrettably there is nothing such a functions menu on Huion software. It seems I have to wait for a newer release.
As I bought a cheaper tablet I knew I could have this kind of problems.

don't worry your tablet may be cheaper but as far as I know they are great tablets too! It is good that finally there is some seriously competition for wacom, we all win here!

Current Workstation:

• 2 months later...

Going back to the original question, I'd like to change the default from "Drag+Shift to constrain" to "Drag+Shift to add". Am I correct that this is not possible? Independently from that  it appears that my Drag+RightMouse doesn't actually work, but I wouldn't be surprised if that problem is only at my end.

• 1 year later...

I've just bought affinity and failed to start using it at the first hurdle. Very depressing!

When I select any brush tool and drag it over the image nothing happens. A previous answer to this problem said select the add button in the context menu. Can't see any of these.

Help please if you can. Remember you'll be dealing with an idiot who has already watched all the tutorials.

Thanks

Tony

43 minutes ago, Tony H said:

I've just bought affinity and failed to start using it at the first hurdle. Very depressing!

When I select any brush tool and drag it over the image nothing happens. A previous answer to this problem said select the add button in the context menu. Can't see any of these.

Help please if you can. Remember you'll be dealing with an idiot who has already watched all the tutorials.

Thanks

Tony

Hello Tony, make sure you have the appropriate layer selected. Photo have the ability to have no layer selected and doesn't select the last used by default, if for some reason you deselected it. So the tool doesn't understand where to apply and does nothing.

The selected layer will be highlighted, also it can happen with only one layer.

Current Workstation:

• Staff

Hi @Tony H,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Check the label between parenthesis in the Layers panel. What does it say? Is it a pixel layer type or something else? Can you post a screenshot with the tool you have selected and the layers panel visible so we can see what's going on? Have you checked the Opacity and Flow of the brush tool in the context toolbar above the work area? Are they set to 0%? If so set them to 100% and try again.

and make sure it is selected, it will show blue on the layer. Even with one layer it is not selected by default all the time.

Current Workstation: