You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta - 1.6.0.85

3 hours ago, dpcdpc11 said:

Try making an X from 2 lines with exterior stroke alignment and export that to Photoshop. You'll see the problem. 

Also why shouldn't the stroke behave the same way for opened shapes as it does for closed ones? Or at least disable the stroke alignment for opened shapes. ...

Not gonna try the experiment. But if AD doesn't allow stroke alignment on open paths, then yes, those controls should be disabled. And if using the stroke alignment on an open path affects an export, then that would be an undesirable effect of leaving them enabled.

See my point? 

Not really because I'm not gonna fire up AD & PS. In 28 years of design work, I can probably use both my hands to count how many times I have gone from a vector editing application to PS. The other direction, a bazillion times. Point is, we evidently do different things with these applications and even if I went from AD to PS, I would never think of setting stroke alignment on an open path in AD or anything else.

In 28 years of design work, I can probably use both my hands to count how many times I have gone from a vector editing application to PS.

Well, I've been at it at least as long digitally, and at least another decade before that. And I quite routinely move vector graphics to a raster program in all kinds of projects.

...I would never think of setting stroke alignment on an open path...

I would. For just one example, it would simplify the process of creating "halos" in technical drawings, where it is often needed on open paths, and one has to tediously construct extra closed paths as a workaround. But there are countless other opportunities for its use, especially in programs supporting multiple strokes on paths. Gravit Designer, for another current upstart, provides for it (although buggy at the moment). There's no reason why offset strokes (determined by path direction) shouldn't be just as useful for open paths as for closed. (And frankly, there's no reason why live offset strokes shouldn't be integrated with offset path commands. Why should live stroke position be limited to just centered, inside, and outside? I, for one, am weary of seeing new competitors in the stagnant vector drawing arena merely playing "me, too" to the limitations of Illustrator.

Point is, we evidently do different things with these applications...

Exactly. Your experience doesn't set the desires, needs, or ingenuity of everyone else.

JET

41 minutes ago, JET_Affinity said:

Exactly. Your experience doesn't set the desires, needs, or ingenuity of everyone else.

JET

Never said I did, James.

Your little dig in no way invalidates my experience or lack thereof, either. It was written simply as a statement of why I haven't had the need to do so.

The same can be written about your experience not being the desires, needs, and ingenuity of everyone else, too.

I respect you as an Illustrator, designer and author of useful scripts for Illy, as well as the years of aiding others on the various Illy forums. You could have simply provided an example or two of this utility (as you did) and I would have been educated instead of being slapped up alongside the head.

Mike 

BTW, if this inability of setting of the line position on an open path isn't a bug, then a request needs to be made in the Feature request section and when made, do include use cases.

• Staff
19 hours ago, zhruith said:

I think that a bug and it's my second report.

It's all in Chinese world to says:

1. when justify left, insert space in article is very reluctantly. 

2. Punctuation in the line start, It's not consider non-english world Placeholder or something...

bug.png

Hi zhruith,

Would you be able to attach an .afdesign file with that text frame included please?

• Staff

Hi zhruith,

Thanks for the files - I have received them. However be aware you used the 'Report Post' link instead of quoting or posting a reply. The report post link is for reporting the post to us if you find it offensive or inappropriate and means your replies are invisible to everyone else.

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Hi zhruith,

Would you be able to attach an .afdesign file with that text frame included please?

It's link design file and chinese font. It's safe to use. come from microsoft windows fonts lib for chinese or download youself some fonts ttf for chinese. 

BTW : another bug I think.

when change application UI language to chinese. The font list name not change to chinese. in photoshop or coreldraw, It's not a question, display chinese font name.

syh.ttc bug.afdesign

9 minutes ago, zhruith said:

It's link design file and chinese font. It's safe to use. come from microsoft windows fonts lib for chinese or download youself some fonts ttf for chinese. 

BTW : another bug I think.

when change application UI language to chinese. The font list name not change to chinese. in photoshop or coreldraw, It's not a question, display chinese font name.

syh.ttc bug.afdesign

And I think this problem not just in chinese, maybe have Japan, South Korea, or other East Asian countries, those non-Latin languages.

• Staff
49 minutes ago, zhruith said:

And I think this problem not just in chinese, maybe have Japan, South Korea, or other East Asian countries, those non-Latin languages.

Photoshop gave me the same behaviour as Affinity when restarting  after applying Traditional Chinese Interface language. The font name was displaying using the Latin characters. What language is your Windows OS in?

19 hours ago, JET_Affinity said:

There's no reason why offset strokes (determined by path direction) shouldn't be just as useful for open paths as for closed.

Here is a similar discussion. How much useful this would be for pixel-perfect horizontal and vertical lines in UI design!

5 hours ago, Sean P said:

Photoshop gave me the same behaviour as Affinity when restarting  after applying Traditional Chinese Interface language. The font name was displaying using the Latin characters. What language is your Windows OS in?

Of course display chinese language fonts name list when application UI change to Chinese and Windows OS too else english fonts list.

maybe your app don't read font's ttf file other language name and all write english name output to display. I guess. :D

6 hours ago, Sean P said:

Windows 10 pro simple Chinese version. It's Photoshop fonts list and Affinity Design fonts list. all in simple Chinese version display.

1.png

2.png

• Staff
22 hours ago, zhruith said:

Windows 10 pro simple Chinese version. It's Photoshop fonts list and Affinity Design fonts list. all in simple Chinese version display.

Thanks! I've reproduced on a Chinese install of Windows 10. I also noticed that Photoshop gives you an option to use English names or regional names (which for me was set to always use English) hence why I didn't initially see it.

26 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Thanks! I've reproduced on a Chinese install of Windows 10. I also noticed that Photoshop gives you an option to use English names or regional names (which for me was set to always use English) hence why I didn't initially see it).

Maybe you can try type Ctrl+K on text tabs in Photoshop, that some check setting display for English or somethings.

im unable to rotate selected multiple points any more :( it was buggy in .83, but still at least present....

Can you finally add there scaling and rotating the selected points? 

When you design forexample icons, you need this so bad...

1 hour ago, grapher said:

im unable to rotate selected multiple points any more :( it was buggy in .83, but still at least present....

Can you finally add there scaling and rotating the selected points? 

When you design forexample icons, you need this so bad...

1 hour ago, rubs said:

Will the continuous export feature be fixed soon? It's still not working the the latest beta. Thanks.

I am just a user in here but I think you would be well served to start separate threads for these issues so you can more easily track them and others can more easily find the issue and add comments

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

3 minutes ago, Rick G said:

I am just a user in here but I think you would be well served to start separate threads for these issues so you can more easily track them and others can more easily find the issue and add comments

Done. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hi Affinity team and good morning.

First of all I wish to thank you for working on this new long awaited update! Thanks.

I bought more than two years ago both Photo and Designer and globally I can say that I'm really satisfied with them.

Both are great software in many aspects with very good workflow that I daily use for my job.

I'm a software developer and I often leverage on Photo and Designer to create mock-up and UI for Android Apps and I also use them daily,  integrated into my whole 2d and also 3D pipeline.

Yes, in fact Designer is perfect when coupled to a 3D Nurbs software that I daily use, Moi3D, that is very powerful for creating also 2D vector graphics.

In this way I can combine the precision and the power of a Nurbs CAD with the versatility and the graphic capabilities of both Designer and Photo.

So, I repeat, I'm globally very satisfied with your software.

But, with said, I also must say that as a long time satisfied DrawPlus user, there are still TOO many features and important tools that are missing in Designer,

and that I'm asking for a long time on this channel :)

I'm referring to some features that really makes the difference in my daily job.

I hope that, along with bug fixes, you will include these long time missing features in the next official version of Affinity Designer, that I loved and used a lot in DrawPlus X8.

I mean, please include this missing features :

1) Tracing images

2) Knife tool : awfully useful !! It allow a superfast workflow. In designer we have to use Combine, Subtract end so on but it's not the same tings and the DrawPlus's way is times faster.

3) Freeform Paint Tool : awfully useful !! It's much more advanced of the Vector Brush Tolls in Designer because it can handle separately the stroke and the fill.

4) Erase tool :  awfully useful !!

5) Flood Fill toll : awfully useful !! Why did you drop it in Designer ? This tool is very useful especially when importing tracing or other vector files created with other software.

6) Envelope, Perspective  :  awfully useful !!

7) SHAPE BUILDER TOOL : awfully useful !! Please include it into Designer. Again...it's not the same thing of using  Combine, Subtract end so on.

8) Mesh Fill Tools  :  awfully useful !!

9) Last but not least....MESH WARP TOOL (in vector mode) : Please add this very missing features.

I hope that you will take into great consideration these requests and I wish you all the best for you wok and your life in general :)

Regards.

Marco (mkdm)

• Staff

Hi Marco (mkdm),
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for your words and support. Affinity Designer is not a direct replacement/upgrade to the previous DrawPlus software. It belongs to a new line/suite of software created entirely from scratch based on an new codebase so their features will not necessarily match. In any case a few items you have mentioned are already on Affinity Designer's roadmap and will be provided as free updates before v2.0 comes out (the roadmap covers the entire 1.x cycle of Designer). Eventually a few more will be added within the 2.x cycle.